Yashj7

powerflex525 PowerFlex525 Drive Online parameters

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

My Powerflex 525 Drive is currently working in the Project. I wanted to observe the drive parameters when the drive is running and live with PLC. I usually do that by getting online with the PLC (1756L72S) from RSLogix5000 and then by going in to the Drive Properties from the I/O Configuration folder i use to click on Drive tab and from there i was able to observe all the Drive parameters with the real-time values on which drive is running.

Now when i try to observe the Same real time parameters on my other PF525 drive, i follow the same procedure as mentioned above till going into the Drive properties and when i try to click on drive tab its gives me a Screen with a message "AUTOMATIC CONNECTION FAILED". The status of drive in the drive properties still shows me that the drive is running.

How can i observe the Real-time Parameters for this other PF525 Drive?

Thanks.

Drive_1.jpg

Edited by Yashj7

Not sure what went wrong except that it can't find "port 1".  I know on larger Powerflex drives, the drive itself, the HIM, COMM module, etc. all end up with different port numbers, so it may be something similar here.  Does the offline file show an option board that the drive doesn't have?

What I would try is go back to the "General" tab, click on "Change", then click on "Match Drive".  This will let you upload the entire drive into the project.

1 person likes this

The 525 E/IP board is embedded, it should have been seen by RSL5K if the PC/PLC/PF525 are all in the same subnet.  Either check for the drive in RSLinx,, or use the BootP to set the IP, or Thru the keypad, set the IP, making sure to disable the BootP/DHCP parameter in the drive.  Then try going online with the 525 again.

1 person likes this

It's been a few years since I had a similar problem, so I may be off-base. Do the drives that aren't connecting have a Remote (door-mounted) keypad? That usually connects to Port 1.

I think the problem may be that the drive configuration stored in the PLC does not match the drive. If the drive is set up differently than default, e.g., remote keypad, using Datalinks, etc., then RSLogix5k creates a unique, module-defined data type.  I think the easiest solution is to do the following.

1. Go online with PLC, upload and save the program.

2. Go offline.

3. Open the drive's Module Properties  window.

4. On the General tab, click the Change button under Module Definition.

5. In the bottom, left corner, click the Match Drive button and browse to the correct drive.

6. Click OK and select Upload Entire Device.

7. Accept the changes and close the Drive's Module Properties  window.

8. Repeat for all drives in question.

8. Save offline project and download to PLC.

2 people like this

ScottC,

i will definitely try the Steps which you have suggested and one more question i have. I don`t have a CCW file nor .pf5 file for the current drive (Means it got accidentally deleted from the PC) so is there any way to recover the CCW file so that i can have all the Drive configuration and its parameters saved in offline mode.

If the drive is in the ControlLogix project, that's all you need.  But you should be able to connect with CCW and upload the drive into a project that you can save.  Just be careful about version control.  If it's in the ControlLogix file and you make a change there, the CCW file won't be current.  And vice-versa.  If you use CCW to make a change the ControlLogix file won't be current.  I generally prefer to have only one software package for each "type" of system.  In this case, I would just use the ControlLogix file since the drive is in there and avoid CCW altogether.

What versions are you running...Studio5000, Connected Components Workbench (CCW), ControlFlash?

I ran into a very similar issue a few years ago.  Programmed new PF 525 drive via CCW, downloaded program, but PLC could not match the drive.

After alot of reading tech notes, talking with A-B...PLC was EXPECTING a different firmware version than what the drive shipped with.

Refer to last section of attached work instruction.

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley PowerFlex 525 VFD Startup.doc