jhines

RSLinx Enterprise cannot find PLC

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to download a program to a ControlLogix 5571 from our remote server but cannot see the link in RSWho. I had originally programmed the PLC from my computer locally but now I need to connect it to the server. I've set the IP address and can browse to the 1756-ENBT/A card through the web browser of our remote server. However, the server is running RSLinx Enterprise instead of RSLinx classic which I am more familiar with. When I try manually adding the Ethernet card to the list under "Communication Setup" the entry disappears after a new browse is started. Apologies for any incorrect terminology here as this is my first time trying to connect to a remote network PLC.

If you're trying to connect your RSLogix or Studio 5000 software to the PLC, you will need RSLinx Classic, not Enterprise.

Thank you for your quick response! So when I try to open RSLinx classic it tells me that the application is running as a service and I would have to stop the service to open it. How would I go about adding the link to RSLinx?

If you go to RSLinx in your start menu, there should be a shortcut to "RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel".  You can start/stop it there and disable "always run as service".

Will stopping the service disrupt communications between other deployed devices and FactoryTalk View?

If they're using RSLinx Classic, yes.  If they're using RSLinx Enterprise, I have no idea but would think not.

RSLinx Enterprise won't be affected when the RSLinx Classic Service is stopped.

Thank you! Stopping the service allowed me to add the PLC to the list.