Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Randusoleis

Panelview 1000 (2711 T10C9

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon to the group.

I have a Panelview1000 (2711 T10C9) that I just received.  Our old one kicked the bucket from drowning, I believe.  Anyway, there is no application loaded on the new one.  I need to load one.

2 RS232 ports one is just RS232 the other is labeled download/printing

My problem is that I cannot communicate with it.  I am attempting to connect to it thru PanelBuilder32. No luck.  I attempt via RSLinx, no luck.  I do get an error from PB32 that tells me that I need to "disable" the printing in the port mode in the configuration.  When I select that button, that says "Printing Enabled" nothing changes.

The cables I am using are a 1747-UIC and an AB2706-NC13.  Do I need a different cable/combination, a certain driver with RSLinx, a bucket of fried chicken (can't kill chickens at the plant)?  What am I missing?  Any input helps

You never needed freshly-killed chickens for PanelView or PanelMate;  it's about the bird as food, not about the death rite.    As long as it's warm and you're hungry but don't get to eat because you're fixing the machine, the mojo is suitable. 

The DH485 PanelViews that were equipped with Printer serial ports can use those ports ONLY for printing (or have them disabled).   Those ports don't support upload and download.   This includes the 2711-xxxx3 and 2711-xxxx9 models.

The 1747-UIC and a straight-through RS-232 cable should do the job if the UIC's switch is set to RS-232.   Use the RSLinx driver;  I don't think the direct driver (it dates from the mid-90's) will work with the UIC.

If the terminal has v3 or v4 firmware (virtually all of the 10" ones will) it should support ATA Flash memory cards, including a CompactFlash in a Type II carrier, as long as it's under 2 GB and formatted for FAT16 and not NTFS or FAT32.      That would be my choice for loading a *.PVA application file.

[The DH485 PanelViews that were equipped with Printer serial ports can use those ports ONLY for printing (or have them disabled).   Those ports don't support upload and download.   This includes the 2711-xxxx3 and 2711-xxxx9 models. ]

How do you disable the printer serial port?

Also, what RSLinx driver should be used.  I think I tried them all.

PanelView 1000 technical details, such as ports available (page 6)  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/2711-td007_-en-p.pdf

PanelView 1000 user manual  (page 184 has programming cables) http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

Do you have the software for uploading/downloading programs to/from this HMI?  PanelBuilder32.

MOST versions of RSLinx will be fine, but you must use a version that is compatible with PanelBuilder32 software.  PB32 has not been updated in a long time.

NOTE:  Allen-Bradley DF1 cables are similar to a typical RS-232 serial cable, but are pinned out differently.  For a PV1000, you want a real serial cable.  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/2711-in037_-en-p.pdf

Which RSLinx driver to use?  This depends on your connection device.  If you have a programming PC with a hard/real serial port, and you have a REAL serial cable, you would select RS-232 DF1 driver.  After you select this driver in RSLinx, you will also want to select the DEVICE drill-down carrot and select ...this is where I have no screenshots and my memory fails me.  Some A-B devices can AUTO-CONFIGURE to set the proper comms settings.

Someone else jump in and finish it up, please