Andrew1

Access to program internal variables?

21 posts in this topic

I am new to Omron's NJ controller and Sysmac Studio and I was very disappointed to discover that program local variables cannot be accessed from outside the program under any circumstances.

Beckhoff's TwinCAT and Rockwell's Studio 5000 (newer versions) both have this ability. They have access modifiers for program local variables where they can be set to input or output. The variables can then be accessed from another program using the format "ProgName.VarName".

Does anyone know if there is some hidden method I am missing or if Omron are planning to add this feature?

1 person likes this

Free phone call to Omron is good. Found the support fantastic in Oz.

No method I am aware of, and I've never heard of it being done that way before.  

Kinda defeats the purpose of local variables.  If you want access in multiple programs, it's a global variable.

Hi Crossbow,

I am pretty sure you are right. Just asking the question in hope.

If there is anyone from Omron reading this please consider adding it. Like I said, you can do it in TwinCAT and Rockwell's Studio 5000.

It is very easy to convert it to a global variable and like Crossbow said, the definition of Global Variable is that any program can access it.  Just convert it to Global.

Hi Michael,

I have had to use Global Variables just like you say. What I am trying to avoid is a massive list of Global Variables, although I have improved this by using structures. I have typically created one structure for all the variables associated with one program and that way my global variable list is manageable.

If you haven't used a system with access to local variables you won't miss it, but if you have then its frustrating.

Global and Local variable declarations are defined in the IEC 61131-3 specifications. DON'T MESS WITH THIS.

The concepts are well defined across many control platforms to provide variable consistency.

I checked IEC 61131-3 and it provides for exactly the feature I want in section 2.1.1 (see extract below), namely "interface parameters". A program is one type of POU so this does apply to both programs and function blocks. Can someone from Omron explain why this feature is not available in Sysmac Studio? TwinCAT is IEC 61131-3 compliant and it has it.

1 person likes this

This is section of IEC 61131-3 I was referring to above:

"Variables have different forms. They can be defined (declared) outside a POU and used program-wide, they can be declared as interface parameters of a POU, or they can have a local meaning for a POU."

11 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

"Variables have different forms. They can be defined (declared) outside a POU and used program-wide, they can be declared as interface parameters of a POU, or they can have a local meaning for a POU."

As stated in your quote IEC 61131-3 offers suggestions for how variables can be declared. It doesn't say they they MUST have all the attributes in the specification.

OMRON has decide to make LOCAL variables only available to each specific POU and GLOBAL variables available everywhere.

Personally I prefer this approach bu apparently you do not. :-)

On 3/11/2017 at 9:21 AM, Andrew1 said:

Dear Andrew1.

Regarding IEC-61131-3 please be aware that interface variables are  not local variables. By definition local variables exist and are accessible inside the POU only.

Sysmac defines the interface variables of a program as "External Variables", and are indeed one to one global variables.

Following standards allows higher compatibility  with other systems, reduces programming mistakes, and learning curve.

Some times standards are not the 'perfect' solution, but... usually are the result of a consensus of experts and the result of deep expert discussions. Bypassing standards or making an 'open' interpretation of the standard... can be 'cool', but... it's in general a potential source of problems.

1 person likes this

Hi MotionControl.CAT,

OK, I take your point about the semantics of what I want. So my question now is why doesn't Sysmac Studio support interface parameters? It's compliant with IEC-61131-3 so that's not a valid argument against it. Does anyone on the inside at Omron who might know read this forum?

Local variables are accessible only within each POU. Global variables are accessible from every POU. Couldn't be a simpler concept. What exactly IS your gripe with this concept?

I would recommend contacting OMRON help desk directly for support. They are a great bunch of guys and unlike some manufacturers DO NOT require a service contract to ask them questions. That being said, I think what you may be looking for is a selection in the Global Variable table to Publish a variable which makes it available via interfaces such as Ethernet/IP. I use this for robot, HMI, and vision systems. By default Global variables are set to Do Not Publish.

Global.thumb.jpg.45820182f77647f2fe0bda1

PLCSteam, that's not even close to what he is asking.  Publish is for Ethernet/IP access.

And Andrew1, interface variables are the inputs and outputs to/from function blocks.  Not local variables.

The standard is pretty clear that local variables are inside a program and global variables are outside.

On 05/03/2017 at 8:10 PM, Andrew1 said:

I am new to Omron's NJ controller and Sysmac Studio and I was very disappointed to discover that program local variables cannot be accessed from outside the program under any circumstances.

Beckhoff's TwinCAT and Rockwell's Studio 5000 (newer versions) both have this ability. They have access modifiers for program local variables where they can be set to input or output. The variables can then be accessed from another program using the format "ProgName.VarName".

Does anyone know if there is some hidden method I am missing or if Omron are planning to add this feature?

Hi and hear hear!  I know this is a long time since your inquiry but this is spot on - I too have used that exact feature in Logix5k - once you use it, it makes perfect sense.  Just wondered if you ever managed to get anywhere with it in the Omron or did you have to relent and just use Globals? 

Obviously this now 4 yrs on and Omron still haven't caught on. I'm using their newer NX1 PLC - still the same!  Next I would ask Omron to consider the magic of an "ALIAS" tag.

For those still trying to think why - just think of 2 or more indentical machines in the same PLC.  Clearly each one in will be in a separate program.  But there are still many reasons why you might want to access some of the other machines tags, without making them global.  That way the 2 programs are absolutely identical!

Keep in mind there are standards in use here, and while I have not read the standard word for word, a local variable is supposed to only be usable in one program.  I would venture to guess the IEC 61131-3 standard makes no mention of using local variables in other programs.  Omron followed the standard when designing Sysmac, and other vendors have varied from the standards over the years.

On 06/07/2021 at 5:28 AM, Crossbow said:

Keep in mind there are standards in use here, and while I have not read the standard word for word, a local variable is supposed to only be usable in one program.  I would venture to guess the IEC 61131-3 standard makes no mention of using local variables in other programs.  Omron followed the standard when designing Sysmac, and other vendors have varied from the standards over the years.

Sure - as far as I'm aware, Rockwell's Logix 5k series software is all IEC 61131 compliant.  That said it's low bar.  Using the similarly configured statements that are present in the standard, a shopping trolley could be considered a "car"  It has four wheels and can steer.  Most other functions are considered "additional".

I know I'm stretching it but it's along those lines.

Anyway - If you have ever used the functions, I can tell you for sure the penny will drop - believe me it does make perfect sense. 

15 hours ago, Graemek25 said:

Sure - as far as I'm aware, Rockwell's Logix 5k series software is all IEC 61131 compliant.  That said it's low bar.  Using the similarly configured statements that are present in the standard, a shopping trolley could be considered a "car"  It has four wheels and can steer.  Most other functions are considered "additional".

I know I'm stretching it but it's along those lines.

Anyway - If you have ever used the functions, I can tell you for sure the penny will drop - believe me it does make perfect sense. 

I've used that line about the grocery cart having 4 wheels myself before.  I get it.  I've used other IEC packages before.  But the standards don't say local variables should be accessible from other programs, so at this point, they are not. You can access them in the watch windows by writing program.variable, but I do not see then changing that any time soon for access in another program...

Hi, so I'm not as up-to-speed on the standards as I can see you clearly are so I'll take your advice there.  Still remains that their software is compliant and it can do this..

Var.  Pgm1:  MyLocalTag1 - set as as "Public"

Var.  Pgm2: MyLocalTag1 - set as "Public" (or Local Only) if only one direction required

Now, in Pgm2 a line of ST code can be...

If \Pgm1.MyLocalTag1 > MyLocalTag1 Then..  whatever logic.. 

Note the backslash "\".  I don't see an issue.  The tag is still registered in the Pgm1 program local tags, but since it's "Public", it can be accessed from other Programs.  It keeps the code "cleaner" IMO.  Anyway,  we won't see that anytime soon - I do agree. 

Cheers

Hey I agree with you on that.  As I said, I have done it before on other platforms.  Not trying to argue it...