Yashj7

Replacement For Ultra 5000 Servo Drive

8 posts in this topic

I am searching for the Replacement of the Ultra 5000 Servo Drive as i cant get online to it with the Ultraware software over wireless plant network. In order to get online i have to connect serial cable every time. And the Drives are used in time critical assembly line  kind of environment. So is there any other replacement which works as intelligent as of Ultra 5000 and also have additional feature of built in Ethernet port which can help me to get online with it wireless over plant network.

Investigate the Kinetix 6500 series of drives.  We have one in service with a linear motor.  It's controlled with a CompactLogix L33ERM over Ethernet/IP.  It was very easy to program and can be remotely accessed if the network is configured properly (ours isn't, so we have to connect directly to the machine).  What drive to get will also depend on what's controlling the drive.

If you want remote access via the plant network, you should probably use a managed switch at the machine to regulate traffic.  We've had issues with an Ethernet/IP I/O chassis losing comms with the processor when the network was connected to its unmanaged switch.

The Ultra 5000 system has its own on board processor and I/O including High Speed Analog I/O. The Kinetic is a PLC based drive which would have to be networked to a PLC to have I/O mapped to it for control of the hoist. This is by no means a plug and play exchange. So is there any other option from Kinetix?

I don't know.  I would contact your local Rockwell distributor and ask them.

Please post the specifics of your application, such as the existing Ultra 5000 servo controller part number.

The Ultra 5000 line went obsolete in 2013.  Have you tried to install your spare Ultra 5000 servo controller?  http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/solutions-services/capabilities/migration-solutions/product-search/results.page

For stand-alone applications, you can consider...Ultra 3000  http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Motion-Control/Servo-Drives

Rockwell's latest Kinetix servo specifications.  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/knx-td003_-en-p.pdf

I Also Wanted to know that what makes the Ultra 5000 drives an Intelligent Position Drives? Are there Any other intelligent drives from the Same Allen Bradley Manufacturer or may be any other?

The Ultra 5000 drives have a motion processor on board which is programmed in I think C and then complied and downloaded into the drive (unless you have the original program you may not be able to read the on-board program)

To the best of my knowledge none of the current range of AB have motion controllers built in.

The only other AB servo drive (to the best of my knowledge) that had a motion controller on board was the 1394 system but that has been obsolete for many many years.

Alan.

Thanks alan_505 For giving the satisfying knowledge on Intelligent Positioning Drive.