Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBird1229

L3 Serial Communication

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am looking for examples on using serial communication with a WMS inside Studio 5000.  Sample programs would be ideal. And I would like to get some information on what blocks need to be used. e.g. Send, and Receive

Thanks!

Can you expand on what you're talking about ?

"L3" might refer to the 1769-L3x family of controllers, either the older -L32E and -L35E or the modern L30, L33, L36.    The older ones had RS-232 serial ports, while the modern ones do not.

And, of course, please provide some details on what you mean about "WMS";   are you referring to warehouse management software, or something else ?     Warehouse management is obviously a huge topic and there are dozens of different vendors and technologies and methods for communicating.

I am referring to the modern L33.  We are using ASCII Comm Card for serial communications, and will be communicating with an AIMs wms.  We plan to scan packages, send the tote number, and receive a lane assignment back.

:rolleyes:

Don't go throwing a handful of acronyms out and ask how to implement a system.   

If you've got a manufacturing execution system of any kind and it doesn't have drivers to communicate directly with Allen-Bradley controllers, I don't think it's much of a software system.

It's practically professional malpractice to use ASCII serial when high-speed Ethernet communications is available.

2 people like this