waqas

Upload from Quantum Hot Standby CPU 140 CPU 67160

9 posts in this topic

Gentlemen, I am beginner in field of PLCs and I need some help to create backup of project / program running on PLCs installed at our project. We have a  Quantum Hot Standby PLCs ( 140 CPU 67160) installed at our water treatment plant; we connect to PLC via ethernet (TCP/IP) and I am preparing backup of these installed PLCs as vendor did not give us backup project files and provided little useful documentation. 

The problem is that, I have transferred the project from all of the PLCs using UnityPro XL, but for one PLC, when I connect to it the "transfer from PLC" option is not available. I am hoping if someone could help me with that.

Not 100% sure on this but could the application not be password protected? Do you get any popups requesting a password when you connect?

Also is there no way for you to get the application from the suppliers?

Edited by cHud

No popups or any thing like that. I simply connect to PLC in unitypro XL over ethernet TCP/IP, but transfer project from plc option is not available, and I cant' even see the logic running in cpu. I will try to get more details and post them here for getting your help.

If it's a redundant CPU, the program is the same in both CPUs, so there is no reason to upload the second one.

On 1/21/2017 at 0:22 AM, waqas said:

Gentlemen, I am beginner in field of PLCs and I need some help to create backup of project / program running on PLCs installed at our project. We have a  Quantum Hot Standby PLCs ( 140 CPU 67160) installed at our water treatment plant; we connect to PLC via ethernet (TCP/IP) and I am preparing backup of these installed PLCs as vendor did not give us backup project files and provided little useful documentation. 

The problem is that, I have transferred the project from all of the PLCs using UnityPro XL, but for one PLC, when I connect to it the "transfer from PLC" option is not available. I am hoping if someone could help me with that.

For software developer, this is one of the features in UnityPro XL software for protection method, the vendor make unusable "Transfer project from PLC". So that why the color for this feature is grey (unusable) as you said ; the "transfer from PLC" option is not available. A lot of manufacturer as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) have "intellectual property" for their product.

For Hot-standby configuration, if you can do transferring project from PLC for one of both CPU (Main CPU or standby CPU), that means no need to transfer again from another CPU, due to the programs is equal. This same as Crossbow said.

What is you meaning "for one PLC" ? Is the meaning one of CPU's (Master CPU and Standby CPU) ? Or one of units of plant ? or others ?

Edited by Azdi Mus

By one PLC, I mean one station i.e. set of hot standby configured two PLCs; I can not extract project backup from both of the PLCs. If vendor has implemented some protection; please let me know how it is done, and if I get to know the password by contacting vendor, how do I use the password to access PLC.

Also, please let me know, If I can't get the password (as vendor is out of my reach), is there any other alternate solution?

I would try downloading the latest version of unity loader. Then connect via that to see the version of unity used inside the cpu. Might be that you are on a different version of unity.

The version is same. The same DCS computer (with unitypro) was used by vendor to configure the plc.

5 hours ago, waqas said:

By one PLC, I mean one station i.e. set of hot standby configured two PLCs; I can not extract project backup from both of the PLCs. If vendor has implemented some protection; please let me know how it is done, and if I get to know the password by contacting vendor, how do I use the password to access PLC.

Also, please let me know, If I can't get the password (as vendor is out of my reach), is there any other alternate solution?

Yes right, if you can not upload (transfer from PLC to PC) program from one CPU..... the other CPU also must be can not do it, because hot-standby function is not working if any different with each other.

For this protection method (make it grey color) can be done with out apply the password, so if you ask vendor related password maybe you got the same answer..... no password.

You must request the logic program from manufacturer, but please be-careful .... the parameters (for example value of register, etc) in the logic may be overwrite to ZERO or LOST. Or an other alternate solution.... you must create the new program by your self. You must have record all of parameter before overwrite the program.

In my latest project, also I've got same problem with you, the vendor can not give me the program...and they put protection in side of PLC. So, I have no choice..... I create the logic program by my self. It is running well till now  :-)

Edited by Azdi Mus