PennState

Updating an old laptop

3 posts in this topic

Hello,  I have a question on updating a laptop that we are using.  The current laptop I have is using windows xp with Rslogix500 version 6.20 and rslogix5000 version v20.04.00 (cpr 9 sr 5).  Lately the laptop has been running slow and having comm issues.  The usb ports get tied up and communication has been almost impossible with rslinx.  I constantly have been getting that that device is not recognized and the only way i have been able to establish communication is to keep rebooting the computer to free up the comm ports.  The computer takes about 15 mins. to reboot and load again.  Anyway, I have got the go ahead to get a new laptop.  My questions are what should i get and how much can i upgrade without having a bunch of headaches.  My thought was to purchase a laptop with windows 7 but I am not sure what that would involve to do so.  Is there a fee to upgrade versions?  Is windows 7 the best operating system to upgrade to?  Should i just get a computer with windows xp on it and leave everything the same?  Any advice here would be much appreciated.

If you only need those versions of RSLogix, an XP computer will work.  However, Windows XP is out of support from Microsoft, so I would strongly recommend upgrading to Win7 as soon as possible, especially if there's any faint shadow of a chance that it may end up on a network with internet access OR if there's a possibility that someone might plug in a USB flash drive.

Personally, I would get a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit laptop with as much RAM as you can cram into it and plenty of hard drive space.  My company laptop is a Dell with 32GB of ram.  It came with a 500GB hard drive, but I was able to add a 1TB mSATA drive.  Doing that let me set up multiple virtual machines using VMWare Player for the different versions of software that we need here.  I have 3 that I use regularly, with a few more that I use occasionally. 

If you only need RSLogix 500 and v20 of RSLogix 5000, you can install them on Win7 x64 just fine.  You'll want to get the latest version of 500, though.

RSL500 v6.2 isn't compatible with Windows 7,  could run it in a VM using XP.  The activations  will need to be moved to the new PC, probably using master disk activation so will need to be converted to use the activation manager software, call Rockwell activations. If you have support with Rockwell you can upgrade your software to the latest version.