Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mac

Micrologix 1200 com problem

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys. We have a new machine that has a micrologix 1200 plc in it and the manufacturer has installed a Panelview 300 for operarator interface. My problem is that there is only 1 com port on this plc.....and the paneview is using it! So I can't hook up my laptop without disconnecting the Panelview! ( I know..I know.. why would we not request multiple ports...trust me if I would have input into buying machines around here it would be a perfect world). The ALL KNOWING Engineers around here don't ask for anyone's opinion and when we get the machine it's too late.It wasn't considered necessary to be able to hook up a laptop at the same time you needed to manually move this thing..Go figure . Anyway ..I contacted my AB rep and he says that in order to have both I will need to purchase the new model of Micrologix 1200...(R I think) in order to have both com ports..I asked him about ordering an AIC+ expansion unit but he said the network communications were different... . Can anyone offer up any suggestions cause it really is a pain disconnecting and reconnecting all the time! Thanks Mac

Here's the deal; MicroLogix controllers can use DF1 or DH485 as their two main comms protocols. It's settable in the RSLogix 500 configuration software. DF1 is point-to-point, so just the MicroLogix and the PanelView or the MicroLogix and your PC can talk to one another. Two devices only. Just two. Never three. Four is out of the question. DH485 is multipoint, so you can have the PanelView, the MicroLogix, and your PC all talking at once. It will actually support up to 31 devices, but 3 to 15 is typical. When you have purchased a DF1 PanelView, you cannot just select DH485 as its communication protocol. It's different firmware, and maybe different hardware. If you use a 1761-NET-AIC and set the MicroLogix to DH485 protocol, you can hook up your computer using DH 485 protocol but... the PanelView won't talk that and there's no port to hook it up ! The long shot way to do this is with TWO 1761-NET-AIC modules. You could convert the PanelView 300 terminal to DH485 protocol (using the existing RS-232 serial port) with a flash firmware upgrade (this is not documented but does work). You need TWO 1761-Net-AIC modules connected back-to-back on the DH485 trunkline (the six-pin Phoenix connector) to get enough serial ports to connect the PanelView, the MicroLogix, and your PC. If that sounds like too much trouble, just live with the plug/unplug dance for now and get the right stuff the first time for the next machine.

In order to keep your two devices connected, you can attach to PLC port a device from ProSoft which can duplicate DF-1 port, and then you can attach your panel and your PC. Their webpage is www.prosoft.com. You can take a view from it.

I checked their website but it doesn't look promising! Thanks for the help though