kdog

ACPU Gx developer connection issue

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just purchased the new GX Works 2 software to aid in re-programming an older ACPU processor.  Currently having trouble getting a connection with the SC-09 cable via Usb serial converter cable.  The processor is an A1SH and GX developer is version 8.119z.  I've tried various serial port settings, 2 different USB converters and 2 different PCs(windows10 and windows7) to no avail.  I did go back with our original DOS Medoc software(on an old XP computer with built in serial port) and was able to connect and upload the program so I know the SC-09 cable is good. The serial port settings I'm using are identical to what the Medoc settings are on the older PC. Not sure where to go from here.  USB converter?(these work fine with some of the other software packages I currently use).  Not real familiar with Mits, so there could be something simple I'm missing. 

I've attached a couple screen shots.  One thing I did notice is that I get alternating comms errors when the SC-09 cable is connected.  If I disconnect the SC09 cable I only get the  01808201 error which makes sense.  What does the other error code 01802007 mean?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin

Mits3.PNG

Mits2.PNG

Mits1.PNG

You could try one more thing with your existing setup:

Enable "via MAC/MTA Transparent Mode" (if you double-click "PLC module"). If that doesn't help, I'm wondering if you have tried two different brands/types of USB->Serial converters, or simply two different converters, but of the same type?

I don't see anything wrong with your setup, but I will recommend you get yourself a Tripplite US-19hs serial converter. I have had trouble connecting to Mitsubishi PLC' s with some converters previously. The tripplite one was recommended to me by Mitsubishi and has never failed me.

I do indeed agree with @titanspark76 that the setup is correct and as it initially should be. The reason why I suggested to try transparent mode is that it sometimes help when using USB->Serial converters:

The "problem" with these old Mitsubishi PLC's is that they use a serial 'break' signal before transmitting data. USB-> Serial converters often don't support this feature, or implements it badly. When using transparent mode, sometimes (depending on the converter) it helps. Basically you are telling GX Developer to be "less strict" when communicating with the PLC.

Thanks guys.  Still no luck connecting.  I did contact my vendor and they are going to send me a Mitsubishi factory USB cable to try. 

There is no 'factory' USB cable solution for A Series PLC that I am aware of.  When I worked there, we always recommended a Keyspan USA-19HS adapter with the SC09 cable.

Hmmm.  They mentioned the FX-USB-AW but I now see that this won't work for us as it is an 8-pin Mini-Din.  I think I'll go ahead and get a Keyspan on order.  I assume you have used the Keyspan with the older ACPU processors?                          

I have a usb to serial convertor. I bought it from ebay

What? ebay you say............yes

But I went for the most expensive one.

I read that there are different chipsets  and the more expensive ones have the better chipsets.

The one I had before only faulted with the A series plc's....... sometimes connected, sometimes didn't.

The new one connects no bother every time.

One thing you don't need is lack of confidence with your connection while uploading or downloading.....it's scary enough as it is lol.

Got the Keyspan in and still the same issues so I pretty much had given up for now and resigned to using the old Medoc PC for the minor changes I needed to make.  Yesterday I was looking thru our Mits cabinets I happened to find a black box Mitsubishi 422 to 232 converter(Model #422MITS) that apparently was used to program an F1/F2 Plc.  I figured I'd give it a try and  low and behold it connected straight away.

So apparently the issue is the SC09 cable in some form or another.  The cable is 20+ years old so maybe a newer Rev handles these USB converters better or just something went bad internally.  I guess what gets me is the SC-09 cable works flawless with the Medoc.  Also the 422MITS does use external 12VDC power via a 120V transformer plug so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

Kevin

20170106_103003.jpg

The SC09 requires power to operate, and it typically gets it from the CPU serial port.  Perhaps yours port or your cable are damaged, I have seen the cables die before.  With the one you show in the photo, it has an external power supply so should work even if the port won't power the SC09.

http://store.plccables.com/Mitsubishi--USB-SC09_p_17.html

Hi Kdog,

With the link above you see a SC09-USB version (not an Original Mitsubishi) for USD $49,-

For that amount of money you could take a chance.

I use a serial to USB converter from a brand named 'Targus' in combination with a Original SC-09 cable (the red one) and this combination did not let me down so far on FX and A series CPU.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=targus+usb+converter&view=detailv2&&id=58F75B66E7FF19CA15DF637035EB2369A00FDB20&selectedIndex=0&ccid=uUHPh7KZ&simid=607993291104127034&thid=OIP.Mb941cf87b2996a5637e06b4bd964cc1bo0&ajaxhist=0

Best regards,

Theo V.