lamboom

A good SD card for the NA5 HMI

17 posts in this topic

Hi..  Looking for a reliable SD card that will work well in the NA5 HMI..  I can't afford the Omron SD card.  And, if there's one out there that will work in the $50 or less price range, please let me know... Thanks, Regards, Michael

Edited by lamboom

Depends what you want to do with the SD card - do you want to use it for loading firmware and the like?

1 person likes this

Hi Bob .. thanks for the reply...

YES.. but certainly not to the NJ controller... just the HMI... the main use is to do the "System Restore" ... because the HMI can't do it using a good quality USB memory stick.. which means it doesn't see my USB stick even with the proper restore software:

585b27e7bdb98_extraction_0011.jpg.3702e6

The above files were extracted to the USB stick from this source for a NA5 HMI System Restore:

https://omca.box.com/s/usbonjwwfoysygb3zp9y81yvxcvs34v0

But, sniff... it didn't work .. so, I want to try with a SD Card.. but can't afford a $500 SD Card.. I'm just a hobbyist, studying Omron & LinMot (all from eBay).. :-)

You will have trouble getting one. I think the maximum size allowed is 2gb and they are all way bigger than that these days. I have a 2gb SanDisk that I use.

The file system also has to be FAT32 - generally they are all formatted that way.

Do not format with Windows - it will not work - the new 32 bit format in Windows is not the old FAT32.

If you have to format then perhaps an old camera?

If you have an old camera perhaps you could partition one to a 3gb drive - I do not know if that will work but worth a try.

1 person likes this

Hi BobB   ... Thanks for some real insight on this problem.. I do have a 2gb SanDisk from Amazon coming tomorrow ..  I'll give it a try without formatting.

By the way, just to be sure..... on my Windows 7 (64 bit) ...  when you select "format" for a memory stick/card ...and you select out of 4 choice, the "FAT32" choice.... Are you saying, that won't work in the NA5 HMI?  

How about if I use an old PC Windows 7 (32 bit) and format to FAT32 .. perhaps?    In any case, I'll first try without formatting when the card gets here.

The NA5 HMI User's Manual says "To format a USB Memory Device (e.g., to delete all of the data), use a Windows formatting utility and format to FAT32"

If this doesn't work ...  this is not good to hear about Omron.  Naturally they want us to buy the $500  "Omron" SD card:  HMC-SD291 (with the "special' formatting) 

This is why I left Siemens (well, one of the many reasons) .. I chose Omron NJ because it actually was a real advance from other ways of doing things...  

Ya know, they also want you to purchase their USB stick: FZ-MEM2G at $260 ... REALLY!  

That's probably why "my" USB stick failed to do the "System Restore" above.    What are we saying here.. my $200 PC has no problem recognizing a "standard" USB stick, but a $2000 HMI can't.     I had to do a firmware update on a $3000 TV a few years back.. and it worked fine, using a cheep USB stick... Sigh!!

I'll post what happens .. still waiting for Omron Support to respond (might be after Christmas) ... Thanks again for your help, much appreciated   MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Regards, Michael

PS:  I wonder if the 32gb was too much for the USB stick.. I'll dig around and look for 2 or 4 gb .. then there;s that FAT32 via windows question....

Edited by lamboom

NA supports cards above 2GB.  It supports SDHC.  I have used a SanDisk 8GB in it.  And have yet to find an SD card of USB drive that didn't work with it.

Omron even sells a 4GB amd 8GB memory card.

Thanks Crossbow ....  BobB got me thinking about the Windows FAT32 formatting problem.. so I found an old 8gb USB stick, and a Windows (32) bit machine.. loaded the url for the system restore zip.. extracted to E: .. and plugged it into the HMI...  and... it worked!      Life does have meaning.... Thank you all very much for for your help.  This URL is a nice and simple way to obtain the required restore software .zip:

https://omca.box.com/s/usbonjwwfoysygb3zp9y81yvxcvs34v0

Windows 7 does not do the old original FAT32 either. New SDs are all formatted to the old FAT32 as far as I am aware. Trap for young players.

Hmmmmm... well, OK then... Perhaps it was the 8gb USB stick that did the trick.. the one that failed was a 32gb stick...  

The good news is the HMI is working now.. :-)  'Tho it has a new version number:  V 4.3.3  (kinda a long way from version1.3 .. I think that was where it was before... and it was a NA5- 7U001B  ... now, it's a NA5-7W001B        The problem with that version number, is it's not available on my Sysmac  Studio .. it only goes to V 1.7 in the selection pull-down.  Still trying to go online or login with the HMI.. so far no luck.   Just using direct connection to the HMI only.  IP at 192.168.259.3 for the HMI and 192.168.250.24 for the PC .. can't even ping it yet... sniff!

to be continued... thanks much

259.3 is not a valid IP, and it wouldn't be on the same network as 250.24.

There is no such thing as NA5-7U.  It was always 7W.

The version 4.3.3 is the firmware, not the OS version to use for Studio project.  I know that's stupid, but we live with it.  If you choose to make a project for OS version 1.07, then when you go to download, the software will update the terminal firmware as required.

Thanks again Crossbow!!!    Hee  Hee  OMG I got ya this time...  There is a NA5-7U .. and you can confirm that in the HMI user manual (I'll look for the page number)  Don't know it's history, but, the book says the two are the same...   That's probably why the Update failed, and killed the HMI ..because it was a NA5-7U ...(well, Mostly Dead ,as they said in the "Princess Bride")

Thanks for that info on choosing 1.07 .. then again it does still have to "connect"    to be continued... :-)

The difference between the NA5-#U and NA5-#W are the certifications for the products. The W-model is more widely certified.

Thanks for the info Solheim95..!      And.. by the way all is well with the newly defined NA5-7W001B (used to be NA5-7U001B :-)    The older Sysmac Studio V 1.16 can logon to both the HMI and NJ101-1000 CPU using both USB and Ethernet .. 'tho the HMI OS is presently V5.1.5  and the CPU is V1.1  .. This might be a small problem when I try and use them together in a project ... sigh...!   

Solheim95, interesting to hear, since not even my friends at Omron had ever heard of a unit with U in the number.  European only thing?  They don't sell it in the US.

I have never seen the U model before, and it is not to be found in the norwegian Omron price list either. Dont think it is vastly used in Europe and where I work we only use the W, maybe in applications/enviorments where other sertifications are needed(like shipbuilding/EX areas) but not sure about that.

Crossbow -  It only has a "U" on it's label.  After the "Restore" it's now a "W" ... :-)  ... an' I did have to reduce it a notch .. back to 4.3.3 ... in order to use it with a 1.1 CPU ... Nice to know ya can go back to older versions.

Solheim95 -  For all you skeptics out there... :-)DSC01351.jpg.3dbe9ffeedeedad7eba54b8a40d