lamboom

USB drivers location on Studio V1.17

16 posts in this topic

Hi.. Have to fix a failed USB driver install when using Sysmac Studio V1.17.  Trying to log into a NJ CPU .. Noticed on the PC's Device Manager the dreaded exclamation mark:

5856f4d21eb99_USB20Fail_0021.jpg.3863862

Normally..right click on "Unknown device" and redo the driver installation .. but, ya have to know where the Path to the Omron file where the driver is stored  ..

Anyone out there know where that driver is?

I love the error window the new Studio pops up:

5856f5cb1d348_USB20Fail1.jpg.d2f5860326e

None of those Helpful Hints make any sense, and 3 are kinda silly ...  I'm curious what #1 and #4 means ...  What do IP addresses have to do with USB functionality?   I think the HMI should have an IP address of 192.168.255. xxx   if you are going to connect using USB ... (the Ethernet IP is 192.168.250.2)   I guess I could change it on the home screen .. without logging in?     Then there's the "adapter" question .. there's only one that can be on (selected) at a time .. and it's IPv4 is set to 192.168.250.24  .. again.. what does that have to do with USB?       Aaaaagh!

Thanks much for any insight to solving Omron connectivity issues.

C:\Program Files(x86)\Omron\Communications Middleware\USB

Tell it to search subdirectories, they are all there, all versions of Windows.

Thanks Crossbow (I do like your cat)

I'm contacting Omron this morning about what to do with the no longer functioning HMI their software disabled.  

Edited by lamboom
fixing a incomplete sentence

cat?

Hi Crossbow ... I was referring to the cool picture .. looks to me like a creature from SiFi .. love it .. I just called it a Cat to be funny .. and methinks you misunderstood my attempts at being silly .. I obviously made some mistakes following the Firmware install suggestions from Sysmac Studio login... and was a bit miffed that that happened... well written software should help prevent such things.   Could you please be more specific where I made offense.  Never my intention.  I strongly appreciate all the help you do here. 

Edited by lamboom

Hope the firmware reload from SD/USB fixes it for you... I had one unit start going to an error every time I powered it on and it was stuck in a perpetual reboot until I flashed the firmware with an SD card.  Maybe noise on the line when it downloaded over USB, who knows, but the flash fixed it.

Crossbow... so far no success... even tho the correct restore files loaded onto the USB memory stick from: https://omca.box.com/s/usbonjwwfoysygb3zp9y81yvxcvs34v0

5859bdbfc48bc_extraction_0011.jpg.69a697

I've contacted Omron support... might have to wait 'till after the Holidays...

Back to the USB Drivers... Lookie:

5859be44d8c51_USB20DRIVER20Fail1.jpg.2a1

The above picture is a bit tricky to understand.. you can see I've right clicked on a USB device problem in Device Manager.. and you can see I have entered the path to the driver.  The window on top says that location doesn't exists .. while, the window on the bottom shows the actual path to the USB driver file, which does exist...(if I had clicked on the USB file, you would have seen it in the path too... Is this really all one can do...?  :-)

Correction .. I was wrong about there being a "USB" file at the end of the path .. it isn't there.  After Communications Middleware, there are two files that don't lead to USB anything.

Edited by lamboom

Try using the original SYSMAC Studio install DVD to provide another path for the USB drIver file or reduce the file path C:\Program Files(x86)\Omron and include sub folders.

Hi Donovanr .. Thanks for the reply.. looks like a good option ... might be a problem  with the Update to V1.17 ...  I'm not sure what you mean by "sub folders" ..  or "subdirectories"   I should have asked Crossbow what that meant when he first gave me the search path, top of this post ...

Edited by lamboom

I've looked at 3 machines here, loaded with Studio 1.10 and above, patched to latest versions, and all had the directory with the files in it.

My guess is you do not have proper administrative rights on your PC.

And you don't know subdirectories or subfolders?  Windows 101 man, everyone knows what a folder or directory is.

I'm using Studio 1.17 ...  it was just updated from 1.1      You would be amazed at how much I don't know.  Certainly, I know what a subfolder is (I think)  (wouldn't it be a folder within a folder... :-)

If the suggested path ends at the USB folder.. how would I know which subfolder to select after that?    My V1.17 machine had all the files listed in your suggested path ... I'll go back an see what's after "USB" :  "C:\Program Files(x86)\Omron\Communications Middleware\USB"    I guess the problem is I don't know how to "Tell it to search subdirectories"

By the way.. I have successfully restored the problem NA5 HMI .. By using an old 8gb USB stick, and formatting to FAT32 using an old Windows (32bit) machine .. Thanks to BobB's warning about Windows failure to format FAT32 in the manor Omron requires ... who woulda thought.... sigh!

I was just being a wise guy.  When you point it at the directory I specified, there is a check box as shown on your screen shot to include subdirectories.  The drivers for different controllers are in directories under USB, so make sure that box is checked.

Glad to hear you got the format issue resolved.

Cool..  That helps a lot..  When I finally went online with the HMI .. the newer version of Studio wanted me to update the HMI's firmware from 4.3.3 to 5.1.5  ...Aaaaagh.. Talk about fear and anxiety when I pushed the "Update" button .. this time it worked.  So far... all's well. Studio logs in using Ethernet.. I'm too afraid to try USB ..  there's some serious do's and don't with the HMI and USB ... Must study that process further.

I'm terrible on this forum.. I'm talking about another thread!     Have a Happy Christmas,  Warmest Regards, Michael

Glad to hear you got it working, personally I almost always program over Ethernet, but have done USB with both devices.

Crossbow - As always.. thanks so much for your help...   I am programing over Ethernet now.... just wanted to see it work on USB, and it works fine ... :-)

You are welcome.