kcox1980

FactoryTalk View Studio ME version compatibility

8 posts in this topic

My company recently purchased a copy of FactoryTalk View Studio ME v8.20 so that we can edit our HMI applications in house. I contacted the integrator to get the .apa files and he mentioned that when I edit a file and create a new runtime to be sure to compile it to "version 4", however the Studio version we have will only compile down to version 5.0. What do I need to do to bridge that gap? I've contacted AB support and they told me that the PanelView models we have can be flashed to version 5 but is that the best option? Are there any risks associated with flashing the PanelView? Would it be better to just downgrade our Studio version?

We've never had trouble flashing PanelViews, so I would go that route.  If you're not comfortable with that, you may be able to contact support or your local distributor to get an older version of View Studio.  If you have TechConnect, you can download an older version.

Also, see this article about 64-bit operating systems (access level: everyone):

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/456828/page/1

Edited by Joe E.

the Studio version we have will only compile down to version 5.0.

I'm surprised by that.    I've always been able to compile FTView ME projects for terminals firmware back to version 3.2.

What exact PanelView Plus hardware terminal are you compiling for ?    I wonder if the terminal selection somehow got changed when it got migrated forward, and that the available Runtime versions are being limited by FTView Studio based on the hardware.

Ken, 

It has always been this way since the introduction of Studio. Also pre version 6 I believe were 32 bit, and not 64 bit. I think this is where the big issue comes into play. I know version 5 and below I still have to use my Windows XP virtual machine. 6.0 and above I am now using version 8.1 and saving runtime as needed version.

The integrator is recommending that we downgrade Studio as opposed to flashing the firmware, however I'm leaning more towards the latter. The only thing giving me pause is that I have this vague memory going all the way back to my first PLC class in college that a firmware upgrade can run the risk of bricking the device if not done correctly, so I've always shied away from firmware upgrades.

So if I were to start a firmware upgrade and something goes wrong, such as the power going out midway through or something like that, what's the worst case scenario here? 

I just opened up view studio v8.2 and it will only compile runtimes back to 5.0.  I don't know what was the last version that will go back further.  We may still have a few projects that need runtime v3.2 (the last one that didn't use the newer user security) but I think the screens are actually at a higher FW version than that.

One of the things that FTView Studio ME has actually been very good about historically is backward compatibility of runtime files.    You can take a *.MER file from a version 3.2 terminal commissioned in 2003 and run it without modification on a brand new PanelView Plus.

And it's been pretty good at the creation of runtimes for older firmware terminals.   Excluding version 3.0 (which only lasted a few months), you ought* to be able to create any older runtime version with a modern copy of FactoryTalk View Studio ME.

The 32 bit/ 64 bit database issue when Rockwell Software migrated FTView Studio from Watcom to SQL only affects *.APA archive and project files, not the ability to create runtimes.

Unfortunately I can't verify this with Version 8.10 of FTView Studio;  my newest machine is Version 7.0, which gives me the option to create a runtime for version 7.0, 6.10, 6.0, 5.10, 5.0, 4.0, 3.2, and 3.10.   

*Exceptions:   of course there are exceptions.

The biggest one is that the Windows CE version changed with the PanelView Plus 6, which substantially changed the operation of both KepServer and ActiveX components.    Any runtime or project from v5.10 or before that used KepServer has to be rebuilt and re-created to run on a PV+6 or newer.    Similarly, any project that used an ActiveX from version 5.10 or earlier has to have that ActiveX removed and replaced with one that's compatible with v6.0 or later.

In addition, some PV+ terminals are oddballs that were released in between revisions of FactoryTalk View Studio, and the software doesn't correctly know which firmware versions they support.   An example would be if you had FTView Studio 6.10 and a then-new PV+ 6 600.    If you told Studio that you had a "PanelView Plus 600", it would assume you meant a Version 5.10 terminal and would remove v6 and v6.10 from the available versions when you went to create a runtime. 

The workaround was to change the hardware definition from "PV+600" to "Custom Resolution 640x480", which removed the hardware filters from the selection drop-down.

That's why I asked exactly what hardware OP was using.   I'm not sure exactly what's going on with his system, but I would try to investigate workarounds to create a v4 runtime before doing any riskier changes.

Most PV+ hardware that supported v4 can handle v5.10 firmware at the highest.   Ideally, OP can check out the hardware and figure out what it supports.  

PV+ firmware upgrades are relatively low risk;  I've never had one fail if I follow the procedures to free up storage before proceeding.

Upgrades of FTView Studio are high-risk;  I never do an upgrade, always a fresh install.   And "downgrades" of Studio are a path to madness.

Version 8.2 will only compile back to 5.0