PLCoblems

Panelview 1200

11 posts in this topic

My maintenance guy brought me this one, they have a panelview 1200 most likely from '95.  They want to buy a mint condition 1200 and replace it, but none of us have worked on panelviews.  What program do we need to talk to the panelview to be able to upload the existing program to our computer and download it to the new one?  I'm pretty sure it's going to be panelbuilder, but I want to make sure.

Panelbuilder 32 should be correct but give us the full part number of the Panelview so we can know for sure. Just out of curiosity what's wrong with the old one that needs replaced?

The operators were complaining that the panelview's display is too dim to be able to use.  It is in an already dark room, but I'm not exactly sure that there is anything really wrong with it other than the inability to read it without a light source.  Maintenance is planning on just buying a new one and replacing it, but I was certain we didn't have the program to write the program, and as it turns out, I am right.  Thank you for helping TWC! 

I am looking for Panelbuilder 32 software but it seems discontinued. any suggestion of how can I get this software?

I have Panalview 1000 and its program but I do not have the software to open the file.

if anyone can help me with it would be great. Thanks and appreciate your response in advance.

Noor

The PanelView 32 utilized PanelBuilder 32 software (legacy software, Win32 operating system).

This model is a CRT unit, similar to an old tube television (not old old vacuum tube).  There is a brightness (contrast) adjustment on the rear.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um011_-en-p.pdf

Generally, weak brightness is an indicator of premature failure.

This HMI line was obsolete (i.e., Silver Series) a number of years ago.  There similar replacement models, but would require newer software.

Since it is obsolete, there are a number of USED units on the market (eBay, Amazon, CraigsList).  Buying a "mint" replacement is not likely at all, but not impossible. 

Thanks Kaiser, I am not the one buying it, he had just used the word 'mint' I guess they are actually used but in good condition.  So if I wanted to pull the program off the old panelview and download it into the 'new' one, I need Panelbuilder 32?  If it is discontinued, how and where can I get it and will my computer be able to use it if I did?

To upload from or download to this family of HMI, one will need Allen-Bradley/Rockwell PanelBuilder 32 software (which is obsolete and no longer sold).

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/graphic-terminals/2711-panelbuilder32-software#overview

Call your local Allen-Bradley/Rockwell distributor and ask if they can provide support.  If your organization has a Rockwell support contract or are a recent Rockwell customer, the distributor may see it to drop by and upload the project out of the running but dim HMI and into your spare.

You can also put out a feeler to Mr. PLC forum members that may be in your geographic area, to see if someone would be willing to assist.

Keep in mind...you are taking an obsolete (Silver Series) & failing HMI, and replacing it with an obsolete HMI.  If unplanned downtime is expensive for this process, upgrading is suggested.

To upload and download to the Panelview 1200 you'll need 'PanelBuilder1200 Configuration Software for Windows'. I can't remember the availability or license requirements but I've used it in the past. I also can't remember where I got it from. I would check with Rockwell Support.

On 23/11/2016 at 10:21 AM, IO_Rack said:

To upload and download to the Panelview 1200 you'll need 'PanelBuilder1200 Configuration Software for Windows'. I can't remember the availability or license requirements but I've used it in the past. I also can't remember where I got it from. I would check with Rockwell Support.

Hi IO_Rack, have you the software for windows to send me?

Thanks!