Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hboyer90

Send Email From MicroLogix 1000

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I have a question.  I have a MicroLogix 1000 1761-L32BWA and I also have an Ethernet module adapter for it which I do not have in front of me, so I do not have it's part number, but I can get it, if it is necessary to answer my question.  What I would like to do is send an email to my email address if a bit comes on.  Is this possible to do with this processor?  Do you need to know the Ethernet module's part number in order to answer this?  I am going to set this PLC up to remotely monitor something for me and I want to be able to hopefully receive an email, from the processor, if certain conditions are met.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

The Micro1100 1761-L32BWA, with a 1761-NET-ENI module, has the ability to send email messages via SMTP protocol; refer to page 12

http://www.e-applied.com.tw/technology/PLC/Micro%201000/1761%20Technical%20Data.pdf

The key to this working is HOW this PLC would connect to the real-world, since the PLC email message would need to traverse your company's network.  This is usually the road block that most users encounter, as most typical process networks are segmented away from the internet.

Well, what if I am planning to use my home network?

You would need to have an SMTP server on your network, or be able to access one on the Internet.  They will require a username and password, and I'm not familiar with the AB to know if it supports logging into an SMTP server.  Some PLCs want an unsecured email server, which you won't find on the Internet because it would be the source of 50 million spam messages per second.