Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hboyer90

Sync Date/Time Between PLC and PanelView Plus

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a CompactLogix L36ERM and a PanelView Plus 6 700.  My question is how can I set the PanelView up to auto-sync it's date and time either with a PC or with the CompactLogix processor?  This is probably a stupid question, but I figured you guys could help me out.

Thanks

There are a multitude of ways to accomplish this.  One such way is to push the date/time from the HMI to the PLC (with this method, you can have a secure HMI screen where the date/time can be touched up and pushed to the PLC).  The attached work instruction should guide you through creating new date/time tag array, linking the PLC date/time to the new tag array with a SSV instruction, then setting up the FTViewME global connection.

Work_Instruction_-_Allen-Bradley_Synchronize_PLC_date-time_with_PanelViewPlus[1].doc

21 hours ago, kaiser_will said:

There are a multitude of ways to accomplish this.  One such way is to push the date/time from the HMI to the PLC (with this method, you can have a secure HMI screen where the date/time can be touched up and pushed to the PLC).  The attached work instruction should guide you through creating new date/time tag array, linking the PLC date/time to the new tag array with a SSV instruction, then setting up the FTViewME global connection.

Work_Instruction_-_Allen-Bradley_Synchronize_PLC_date-time_with_PanelViewPlus[1].doc

I apologize for not making myself clear enough, I was in a big hurry so I didn't explain myself very well.  The PLC time/date is not the issue.  I have the PLC set to synchronize with my desktop computer and automatically pulls the date/time,plus it almost never loses power and it has a battery if it does, so the PLC is all good.

My issue is the dang PanelView Plus terminal.  The date/time is constantly off on them (we have approx 40ish machines with PanelViews).  So, anyttime I am by a machine I make sure to manually update it's date/time in case it had lost power since I did it last.

My thinking was, there has to be some way that I can set the HMI up to automatically set it's own date and time either from a PC or from the PLC, not the other way around.

Thanks

Then you want the opposite of what I did.  In my case, HMI pushes date time to PLC via SSV (Set System Variable).  This SETS the system variable, in this case date and time, to what the variable value is. 

What you want to do is push the PLC date/time to the HMI.  This can be done with a GSV (Get System Variable).  In my example, there is a HMI event tag (press a button on a protected HMI screen).  That button tag will be mapped in the PLC program to a GSV instruction.  Make sure your HMI application uses your new date/time tags.

I will give it a try when I get some free time.  Thanks. 

On 11/9/2016 at 10:03 AM, kaiser_will said:

Can you use this method to update the date-time of several PLCs running on the same panelview?