jake4eng

Do I Need to Setup 2 Motion Groups for Forward and Reverse Movements along 1 Axis?

3 posts in this topic

Just wondering if I need to set up two Motion Groups to specify the direction of travel along 1 AXIS? (Forward and Reverse)

If not, how do I specify direction when using motion instructions (specifically MAM) with incremental motion. 

When using a MAM instruction, you tell it what position to go to. This will be from the point of the reference switch. So for example, if you are moving up and down, and your home switch is at the bottom. Your MAM[0] would be say 12. which would be 12 inches from the home switch. So now your axis is up. The next move would be back down. So now your MAM[1] would be say 3. So it will move down to 3 inches above your home switch. Or down. 

But you can also go any direction you want. It doesn't always have to be up then down, etc. I would recommend different MAM instructions for each move. 

No. Motion groups are for grouping axes. In my experience they are rarely used. You can't put a single axis into multiple motion groups anyway.

With an MAM, motion is determined by either the direction from current position to command position (absolute positioning), or by whether the value is positive or negative (relative positioning).