Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twstevic

NJ Devicenet To Fanuc Robot

4 posts in this topic

I am working on  a project that uses an NJ501-1320 with a CJ1W-DRM21 (sw version 2.1). I have the devicenet working with some DRT2 I/O modules, some SMC valve blocks and two Fanuc robots. The DRM21 seems to be happy with the network settings and sees all of the slaves that are connected. My question is how to format the data to communicate with the robots themselves. Robot 1 has 10 bytes in and 40 bytes out (as seen by the PLC) but I can not force a bit and detect it in the robot. I have tried using tag name Y3400_00 (BOOL) and %3400.00 (Network) Output, I have tried Y3400 (Word) and %3400 (Network) Output. The IO assigned to Node 40 (robot 1) is bank 2, 3400.00 - 3419.08. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Hi Tom,

Do you really mean "Force" or do you mean turn it on with a coil?  As you know, you cannot just force any bit in the program for an NJ.  You should be able to do as you said and create a variable that is assigned to 3400.00 using the %3400.00 AT assignment. Then use that variable tag to assign to a coil. 

Thanks.

Hi Michael, Yes, I did not mean 'force'. I created the tag Y3400_00 and set it to %3400.00 using the AT assignment. I tried to set the bit true using the Watch Window, and I also put the tag as a coil in a line of logic. Both are unsuccessful. When using the watch window, the true button is highlighted, but the online value stays at 0. When used as an output in a line of logic, the logic leading up to the coil is highlighted, but the coil itself remains un-highlighted. (like when you have duplicated outputs in an older controller when some other logic turns off a coil that the logic says should be 'on'). I also tried setting a whole word as Y3400 and set it to %3400 using the AT assignment. No luck that way either.

Silly question, but I have to ask.  Do you perhaps have the input and output memory locations swapped in your head?  I know that if you use the default, 3300 is input and 3400 is output, but just asking.