G_DeMark

PLC control of Work Instructions

9 posts in this topic

I have a request from a customer to coordinate the process steps (assembly process) with the operator electronic work instruction display.  This company does not have any MES or other work instruction display system.  Therefore, I am wanting to know if there is a reasonable method to use a PLC output bit (or message) to open a file on a PC (such as a word or power point).  Possibly even to advance the power point slide when triggered by the PLC.   My feeling is that this not a robust PLC function, but I am researching the potential just in case.   Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

The task...for the HMI to display technical documents.  What HMI model or SCADA system are we talking about?  What form are these technical documents in?

The PLC side of this should not be an issue as the technical documents would need to reside on the HMI or SCADA PC.

The function you are describing is HMI spawning and displaying a technical document (PDF or Word) within a HMI screen.  If SCADA PC, PDFs can easily be spawned and displayed within a page via an Active-X plug-in.  The big challenges with SCADA PC is that the engineer would be responsible for linking the latest documents.    

1) I will be using a compact logix ( AB 1769-L24ER-QB1B CompactLogix).

2) I will be using a Panel View or Pro-Face HMI.  However, I do not intend to use this for the work instruction display.  Rather I will have a windows PC adjacent to the system running the power point etc.

3) The engineer would create and maintain the power point files on the PC system.

3) The attached picture shows one method that might work.  I am not sure if there is a better way. 

Thanks

Capture2.JPG

Edited by G_DeMark

I dont think you will be able to directly interface powerpoint with an OPC server.  You might be able to create a VisualBasic application that will interface with the PLC and also be able to display the powerpoint and cycle through the pics.  If not, you should be able to display images with VB. 

Yes,  I was planning on writing a simple VB.NET application.  I should have included that in my figure.  Thanks.

What do you think of this method?

Is there a better way?

Even though it was my suggestion, Im not big on VB on the plant floor.  I think it over complicates things.  I would suggest seeing if there is a SCADA package that will meet your needs.  I know that Ignition by Inductive Automation would handle what you want, but it may be overkill.  You could talk with them about their smaller limited client versions and see what the cost would be.  Others on here may have other SCADA suggestions.

Hello,

PeakHMI might be a good fit.

Vetra Systems make encoders that will allow your plc outputs to emulate a PC Keyboard . 

On 10/19/2016 at 10:34 AM, G_DeMark said:

Yes,  I was planning on writing a simple VB.NET application.  I should have included that in my figure.  Thanks.

What do you think of this method?

Is there a better way?

Did you ever figure out a good method?