Hard @ Work

Socket Services PLC-5

4 posts in this topic

First time posting on this forum, hoping some of you could answer a question I have.  I am currently using the MSG instructions with service types "Socket Create", "Open Connection" and "Read Socket" on a Control Logix PLC to communicate to a device over TCP/IP.  My question is, can this also be done with a PLC-5, as when I look at the MSG instruction within PLC-5, there does not seem to be an option for these types of services.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Hard @ Work

The PLC-5E and 1785-ENET do not support the Socket Services that are available in modern ControlLogix.   The only non-Logix controller in the A-B family that does support them is the MicroLogix 1400 Series B.

The first couple of devices I would investigate for a "raw socket" interface to a PLC-5 would be a Red Lion DataStation Plus, or one of the gateway devices from Real Time Automation (http://www.rtaautomation.com/), or even the MVI71-GEC generic Ethernet communication module from ProSoft.   All of those have good legacy connectivity to the PLC-5 platform.

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.  That's what I was thinking as well, but just wanted to check and see if anyone knew otherwise.  I have already visited RTAs website and looked at their device.  Will probably go that route.

Thanks again.