Michael Lloyd

Message block in an 1769-L24ER

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to set up a Message block to transfer data from an 1769-L24ER to a 1756-L61. i've got this working in 1/2 dozen Logix and Compact Logix PLC's. It's not rocket science. However, when I select the built in ethernet port and add , 2, IP address, 1, 0 to the end of the name and hit apply I get Failed to Set Path Value <> Module cannot be found. 

Ideas? I hope AB didn't screw this PLC up... It's a handy little box that I won't be using anymore if I can't do peer to peer messaging...

I want to say that Rockwell changed something in the way you set up the messaging EIP address schema with the newer CompactLogix controllers. I've run into similar problems, myself. It's syntactic, and I think it's actually been simplified, no more or fewer suffixes. 

Have you tried adding the remote controller as a permanent Ethernet node in the local program and using that node as your IP address in the MSG block?

Thanks very much for the reply. I haven't tried adding the remote controller as a permanent ethernet node. I'll look into it. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible though

No problem. I dug up the last program where I did this and took a screen shot for clarity.

The local controller is an L18ERM communicating with an L33ERM, but it should work the same way with the L24ER and L61.

msg.thumb.jpg.37814d22a428e06d37cab5d8b4

Edited by Gramens

Putting the "remote" controller into the I/O tree will create an idle I/O connection to it, which will waste a small but nonzero amount of connection resources.   You could Inhibit the connection, which will not waste any resources.

The Path you described does sound correct to me, though.   The "1,0" on the end is still appropriate for a 1756-L61 controller in Slot 0 of the target chassis.

I think I figured it out.

Because the CPU and the Ethernet module are both considered "one and the same", on the modern 5370 series CompactLogix, you don't have to include the "local ethernet interface" like you did with the ControlLogix and the old CompactLogix.

When you browse to the Etherne entry in the Controller Organizer, then the CPU icon ... you're creating a loop back to the CPU.

The CIP path that Studio 5000 should accept is just "2, IP_Address, 1, 0".

1 person likes this

On 21-9-2016 at 4:06 AM, Ken Roach said:

I think I figured it out.

Because the CPU and the Ethernet module are both considered "one and the same", on the modern 5370 series CompactLogix, you don't have to include the "local ethernet interface" like you did with the ControlLogix and the old CompactLogix.

When you browse to the Etherne entry in the Controller Organizer, then the CPU icon ... you're creating a loop back to the CPU.

The CIP path that Studio 5000 should accept is just "2, IP_Address, 1, 0".

Brilliant Ken, thanks for replying. I was struggling trying to connect an L16-ER to a L32E through CIP messaging. I was convinced this must've had something to do with the syntax of the message path but i couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong. You're explanation makes perfect sense and it worked for the L16 controller.