6 posts in this topic

OK so this is driving me nuts, because I had this whole program just about finished and working fine, until I deleted it :-1

Now I don't remember how I did it, if could just get past step 2 in the attached "Scope" I'd be fine and could do the rest myself, I'm kindof a beginner to ladder logic and I'm using RSLogix 5000

SCOPE.docx

Edited by Luigi802
Updated SCOPE

OK so I used to work at a place when networks were just coming out and they were a little flaky.  If it went down you lost all your work.  We would always get these messages that said, "Save often."  Two words and a habit that has saved me much grief over the years.  I would suggest you take up that mantra early!

Now as to your problem with step 2 it really does not look that bad.  Your induction heater is probably controlled by an output (you have no I/O list so I am not really positive).  It sounds like your heat is supposed to stay above the low setting and that there is one input for this.   When your  input is on I interpret that as low - turn on the heater.  When the input is off the temp is high - turn off the heater.  Kinda confusing how it is written.  It actually looks like a fail safe system since a wire coming loose will cause the heater not to work. 

I would have more problem with the cooling as it does not give any indication on how to determine if the material is cool enough.

Edited by PLCMentor.com

I actually figured it out, and I'm totally past that whole process, and almost done the next 1, thank you anyway though. I really just needed to refresh my memory and play around a lot until I got it! And yes I did save often but I purposely deleted it because I though of a more streamlined method of programming it.

Another mantra.... save everything. Digital storage is a lot cheaper than all the time spent re-inventing the wheel. I add an "Archive" folder to all my project folders where I put old versions. I create new copies anytime I start making sweeping changes, just in case I want to roll it back. I also create a new copy anytime I make any changes after I've sent the program to a customer. That way I can roll back to the last known working version if my changes don't work out. Has saved me a number of times.

2 people like this

JRoss nailed it...save everything.  I personally save every version of a program in a folder by date.  At the end of the job, long after everything is running fine, then I start deleting (AFTER making a golden copy somewhere).

We are an end user and maintain our own archives.  We keep multiple backup versions for every program.  Right now, our archives go back about 6 years (when I started working here).  We probably don't need that many, but storage is cheap.