Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_Slick504

Rsview Opc

4 posts in this topic

I've imported a project that uses OPC as the data source, into my project that uses Direct Driver as the data source, the new project runs fine on a PC that runs under NT4, but when i try to run the project on a PC that uses Windows 2000 i get the message "Couldn't add network DDE share 'RTDataOP200$' 'can't bind to DSDM service'. Any help appreciated Graeme

A classic, if mostly inconsequential, error. It really just shows up when you start the project and makes you unnecessarily nervous. It's telling you the truth; RSView is trying to open some Network DDE services (I know, you're not using DDE or Network DDE) from the operating system but can't "bind" to them because they're not running. It's a fairly easy fix; you go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. You'll find a service called Network DDE, and next to it one called Network DDE DSDM. Both are by default set to Manual startup; set them to Automatic and next time you boot your PC and start the RSView project, you won't get that error message. I walked through this with one of my customers upgrading a project to Windows 2000 a while ago, and I'm cribbing all of the above from RSI Knowbase documen E4681.

Thanks for the reply Ken, I will try what you have suggested when i'm back on shift. Would this problem stop my tags that use the OPC data source from working on this PC. The project works on 1 PC but not on the other PC, i get the message and none of the imported tags (opc data source) work. Cheers Graeme

You need to confirm you have created the OPC topic in RSlinx for the tags defined for OPC connectivity.