Ben H

CAD Software for Schematics

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I need to draw up a wiring diagram for a control panel.  What CAD software are you guys using?  Need something that is industry standard, has a good range of templates/stencils and preferably not too expensive. 

Thanks in advance,

Ben

You can go the free route with DraftSight which is a great 2D CAD software. You will have to either build all of your own symbols, or download them from somewhere though.

There is also EZ Schematics, which is a free download, or ~$100 for the full featured version. This is a minimalist software that comes with a decent amount of symbols, but is not an industry standard. It is simple to use, and requires no big learning curves.

I mostly use Promis-e which is an old AutoCad add-on software that is no longer available. It is powerful though.

Edited by jawolthuis

Whatever is free/cheap isn't going to be friendly. For one project, I would use draftsight and cross my fingers that I have a VERY good reference. If its for a lot of projects. I would cough up the 5500 and buy Autocad Electrical. ePlan is around 12k.

Bentley Microstation is not as advanced as AutoCAD Electrical, but is super easy to pickup and a fraction of the license cost.