Shebin

Read/Write Access DB

4 posts in this topic

I am fairly new on this forum & PLC's, usually i read and get tips from here.
I use a RsLogix 5000 PLC software. 

I am currently working on a project at home that requires me to read from a Access DB. 

What type of Instruction or method do i go about, initially reading from Access? I know Excel is possible

It's an existing system. Add on functionality/feature. I am using a barcode scanner that will link up to a Access DB to verify the barcode is legit and send this info to a different system via PLC/Ethernet

The access DB is used because its a older system, it uses that. 

So it is possible? and guessing from what your stating, its is more involved to get the system working eventually?

PLC = A&B 1769-L23-QB1 CompactLogix Controller

I am using FactoryTalk View Studio as HMI, do not have SCADA.
I have a control logix chassis.

Thank you in advance...

I will take a bite on this.  Nobody jumped on this as there is no Logix instruction that will send data to a database as you are expecting.  Generally when inserting data in a database, you would pull the data from a PLC with some type of SCADA or HMI software and then use SQL inserts to send the information to your database.  If the HMI that you have is Factory Talk ME edition - basically a panelview - then I do not think it has the capability to do this.  I did pull data from a PLC5 into Wonderware and dump it into an access database around 15-20 years ago so it is possible; however, now days (even back then) people tend to use more capable databases.  MySql would be a step up in the number of records it can store and due to the fact that it is not a single user database as is Access.   I suspect it would also be easier to connect to these days. 

It is possible with a SLC and Logix500 to push data into Excel using DDE Poke commands.  However, this approach is extremely klunky (if you cycle power to Excel hosting PC, the DDE connection has to be manually restarted).

Seriously, if there is a business case to merge data into an Access or SQL database, then there is a justification for a SCADA node.

On 14.06.2016 at 9:11 PM, Shebin said:

I am fairly new on this forum & PLC's, usually i read and get tips from here.
I use a RsLogix 5000 PLC software. 

I am currently working on a project at home that requires me to read from a Access DB. 

What type of Instruction or method do i go about, initially reading from Access? I know Excel is possible

It's an existing system. Add on functionality/feature. I am using a barcode scanner that will link up to a Access DB to verify the barcode is legit and send this info to a different system via PLC/Ethernet

The access DB is used because its a older system, it uses that. 

So it is possible? and guessing from what your stating, its is more involved to get the system working eventually?

PLC = A&B 1769-L23-QB1 CompactLogix Controller

I am using FactoryTalk View Studio as HMI, do not have SCADA.
I have a control logix chassis.

Thank you in advance...

Hello Shebin,

did you find a solution? I need a solution like you, if you found please share with me.

Thank you.