AngryRobot

Can an NS screen display a message based on a value in a data area?

4 posts in this topic

I am running a very large step based program on an NJ plc.  I have several status and alarm messages that I need to display on the screen during the auto cycle.  Right now I have set up unions in the PLC for the faults... but this is a very large program with a lot of possible faults.  I'm up to 9 16-bit array unions already.  It is just getting really cumbersome.

I would like to just write an INT to a data area for each fault and status message.  That way I can assign each step a 5 values to be used for faults and messages (ie: step one can use numbers 1-5, step 2 can use 6-10, etc) .  Then I want to have the NS display a message from the string table based on the value in the data area.  Is this possible?

You can use the label function and create a .txt file with all of your strings that you want to display inside of the label.  Then you set an address, the integer value of which points to a line in the .txt file.  Look on the bottom of the General Tab for a label object (Indirect Reference of a String).

Thank you very much!

I guess this doesn't capture the faults in the alarm history like using the event registration does though.  I didn't think about that until now.  This customer does like having the alarm history recorded.  Dang it.... thank you anyway!  You really know your Omron.

There are probably ways that you could look at this in a macro in the NS as well, so that when the value is a certain number, set on a particular bit that is registered as an event trigger.  But this probably would be more work than the way that you are doing it now.