Mr.Spock

Ethernet/IP

7 posts in this topic

Ethernet/IP.  I am new to AB and looking for the smallest (cheapest) AB PLC that would support Ethernet/IP  network devices .  
Can someone point me to the PLC that would fit this?   Also which software would be needed for programming?

Edited by Mr.Spock

what do you need this plc to be capable of (in terms of EIP and other things)?

ML1100 and ML1400 have some EIP capabilities.

When you say EIP, you need to indicate implicit (cyclic) communication or explicit (one time) messaging.  Because in order to perform the implicit message, the network must have a scanner (master) class device.  Some devices do not support implicit messaging and some do not support explicit messaging.

EIP refers to devices as scanner class (master), adapter class (slave with implicit and sometimes explicit) and messaging class (slave with only explicit messaging).

A remote I/O block is typically adapter class, and 2 adapter class devices cannot communicate without a scanner class device to start the data link.

Most small brick PLCs are adapter class, and therefore cannot master the network.

I use "L1" bricks. They are $1300 list price typically. Program with 5000 platform RS Logix. Good value for the money. I have moved away from any 500 series PLC which would include all Micrologix PLCs because most devices that are SLAVE EIP, require implicit communications.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/CompactLogix-5370-Controllers

Thank you all for your replies.  I do need both explicit and implicit messaging. Also need it to support QuickConnect which I believe is a function of my device rather than a function of the PLC  (Appedix E in the Ethernet IP spec.) 

I have been looking at the 1769 CompactLogix.   The PLC cost was not a real big issue but from what I have determined the software required is very costly. What is the base software that would be required for the 1769 CompactLogix?

A bit of history, I currently use emulation software to emulate the function of the PLC but would like to test the product on a real PLC before release or compliance testing.  This really became a concern when QuickConnect was added to our spec which requires me to do testing to make sure the device can add itself to a EIP network in less than 500ms.

You can use the smallest CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B controller.    It only supports four EtherNet/IP nodes for I/O, but it does all the messaging and cyclic functions you need.

Studio 5000 Logix Designer comes in multiple editions with different levels of functionality.  

You can use the "Mini Edition", part number 9324-RLD200ENE.     It supports only CompactLogix CPUs (not ControlLogix) and only Ladder Diagram routines, but it sounds like that's all you need.

Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks to all for the information.  I have the information needed to proceed.   All of you were far more helpful the the local AB rep.