mmccarrell

GUI for RSLinx Classic not available if running as service

7 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I'm troubleshooting an issue with some old RSLinx Clissic software. It's version 3.70.00 CPR 9 SR 7. When I run it as a service I can't get into the interface for the software. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Even as a service, the RSLinx should appear in the tasktray as an icon that you can double click on to pull up the full GUI.

Say that doesn't work, you can goto Start/Rockwell Software/RSLinx/RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel and turn off the "run as a service" then the GUI should appear.

You can use the Launch Panel to switch between Application and Service Mode, but you can't open the RSLinx Classic GUI while it's running as a service.

There's a very thorough RA Knowledgebase document (Answer ID 63506, Access Level: Everyone) that describes some of the history and principles involved, especially with regard to Remote Desktop.

Hi,

You are probably working on Windows 7, it used to happen to me as well.

Make a copy the RSLinx shortcut, chage its name if you like, edit it (right click – properties), add the command line “/service” and that’s it.

I don’t remember where I found this information but it works for me.

Bye

I don't have an account with AB is there some other way to get this document?

"There's a very thorough RA Knowledgebase document (Answer ID 63506, Access Level: Everyone) that describes some of the history and principles involved, especially with regard to Remote Desktop."

Thank you everyone. I'm learning lots of good stuff here. I appreciate the assistance.

You can sign up for an account at no charge and get any of the documents that are set for "Access Level: Everyone".    Documents that require a TechConnect support subscription won't be viewable.

In general, those documents are under Rockwell Automation's copyright, so none of the PLC discussion forum websites can reproduce or copy them, and technically users of the Rockwell Automation support services agree to respect the copyright as well and not retransmit the contents of the Knowledgebase.   Some of that is to avoid dilution of the value of the information, and some of it is to try to preserve the accuracy and authority of a single source.

Excellent. I signed up and am waiting to get a password so I should be all set. I agree on keeping documents controlled and certainly don't want anyone breaking copyrights when I can just get it myself. I just had a devil of a time finding the "sign up here" area.  I think I'm all set. Thanks again!