Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
antht

USB Programming Cable

15 posts in this topic

Just got an IBM lap top at work and had to buy a usb/serial adaptor. Is there a USB programming lead available to program Mitsubishi PLC's?

Which PLC? http://shop.mrplc.com/view_product.php?pro...=MIT-USB-SC09FX

for Q PLCs you can use standard USB cable that is available in any computer store around the corner.

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware a cable was available like that. What I would really like is the rs232 9pin equivalent as I have E150 HMI's on all my PLC's and program them in transparent mode. I am using FX1N's and a Q02. Edited by antht

Personally I didn't like USB on Q CPUs. You have to keep on plugging and unplugging cable to restore connection, it's weird. There ware some other anomalies like programmign port. We put USB bulk head connectors on the panel for programming purpose and they didn't work. They worked however with EVERYTHING else (USB mouse, keyboard, memory stick, cameras, USB<>RS232 adapters, everything...) - but not with the Q02HCPU. We opened the connector and it's just simple 1:1 connection, very short and nicely shielded, there was nothing to complain about it. We tried to extend it two or three times using multiple bulkhead connectors and different cables and everything else was still working fine. Everything but Q. The only way we could get USB to talk to Q was using direct cable connection. If you have PC in the cabinet doing data collection or whatever, you cannot use USB because upon powerup someone needs to pull and then plug the USB cable every time. I really like ethernet. Much longer cables can be used, multiple devices connected at the same time etc.

Thanks for that info. I am only going to use the cable for programming via the HMI. I am only using a Q02 so don't have a USB port anyway. I may purchase one of the USB/DIN cables mentioned earlier and look at modifying it to fit a 9pin RS232 connection. Its a real pain when purchasing a lap top, especially when we only have a choice of IBM or IBM and we can't get one with a serial port on. Hence I have to carry the adaptor about with me everywhere I go. You would think Mitsubishi would have identified this problem and come up with another over priced cable that we could purchase and solve our problems.

Which IBM you have? I've changed few and in a week I'll have new baby - Dell Latitude D800 Below is RS232 pinout for cable QC30R2. I made one to use it with Q. It works great:

I use a Dell Inspiron 1100 with no serial port. I got a CP Technologies USB to Serial Adapter from www.tigerdirect.com and I have had no problems with it with any PLC software except for Modicon's PL7 (which has funky com drivers anyways)... AB, Mitsu, Modicon, Omron, Siemens have all worked without fail... Mitsubishi also offers a USB programming cable for the FX1S/1N/2N/2NC now, FX-USB-AW... But it's more expensive than the one at www.plc-cables.com.

Panic Mode I have an IBM THinkpad T42. Thanks for the information. I have just ordered a similar item from www.rswww.com Cheers for the Help Edited by Crossbow

Chris, was it working with RSLinx autoconfigure as well?

RSLinx automatically detected my SLC 5/03. That's the only AB I have so that's the only one I know worked.

cool, thanx a lot...

All USB cables sold at this site http://shop.mrplc.com/ use the same driver and AB cable supports Autoconfiguration with all AB PLCs

For USE port, it can be used to connect PLC. what you need to do is USB <--> COM <--> Q I am using this to program FP0 by FPWin. For other PLC softwares, it may not function.

Thats ok for programming Q Series if you have a USB port, which I don't as it is a Q02. Also it doesn't help you when you want to program FX1N's or other FX series.