Davka

Gx Works3 problems

12 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

new to the forums and fairly raw PLC programmer.

I've recently gotten involved in a project for a customer where it was decided that we would use a Mitsubishi PLC. This is because they've used them in earlier projects with good results. The PLC in question is an FX5U which I figured would be good since it allows for a mix of LD, ST and FBD. LD will be used for stuff like alarms and sequential programming with some inline ST for math-related operations. I'll also try some FBD since it reminds me of Simulink which I am much more familiar with.

My question for you is about Gx Works3. When editing ladder diagrams you can (or should be able to) insert an empty row using Shift + Insert. I frequently get a pop-up saying "Edit position is incorrect." This is frustrating since I feel like adding a new row is one of the most basic operations you can do in the program. I also get this message when trying to add comments. It seems like its very random with where you can and can not add rows/comments. It leads to having to add a row somewhere and then restructure the whole program so you finally get the empty row where you wanted it in the first place.

The same thing happens when say you would like to cut/copy a row and paste it somewhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or am I doing something wrong? I know I am in write mode but it still gives me problems.

Best regards,

David

EDIT: Might be this should have been in the iQ Works Q&A thread. Apologies if that is the case.

Edited by Davka

Shift + Insert works with mine. Usually when I get that popup when trying to insert rows or Pointer addresses it is because I have the Edit Line option enabled. Check to see that you dont have any editing buttons turned on OR if you are in Read Mode (Shift + F2) put your editing screen in Write Mode (F2).

Just a few things on the top of my head.

I will check if I've done something like that. Only been getting into the programming stuff the past two weeks. Thanks for helping out!

No worries. These little bits got me as well when I started programming Mitsubishi

Where exactly is this Edit Line option located? Some dropdown menu or in settings?

Just reporting that my problem has been resolved. It seemed like the issue was apparent in v1.017T of Gx Works3 which I was using. After updating to v1.022Y the problem dissapeared.

I'll be on the lookout for weird editing buttons as well in case it reappears.

1 person likes this

Good to know. I will keep an eye out as well.

Sorry about that mislead with the edit line. I had that problem with GX Works2. I see that GX Works3 contains the edit line option on the work screen. Click on the yellow box and drag and you get the same operation as the old Edit Line.

Untitled.thumb.png.570b44744e35a5e1eda01

Edited by Akahige
1 person likes this

Hello Davka, I have same issue, apparently is a bug in the software, first time was solved updating the version, now this problem is happen again and I have downloaded the latest version. I do not know what to do :( if anyone finds the solution let me know.

BW: I have installed this last version in multiple laptos and Desktops, so I am sure the issue is in the software itself.

Gx Works 3 Version 1.027D.

I recently installed the latest 1.028E (this is in Japan by the way) and I had a similar problem the other day. It wouldn't let me input a contact into a perfectly good empty space between two existing rungs. Had the same error pop up as mentioned in the original post. It let me do it after I recompiled everything and inserted a line between the two rungs.

I noticed something similar last year when I first started using GXW3 but a lot of issues seem to have been fixed in recent updates. It's probably just a bug in the latest version and will be fixed in the next update.

My main problem with GXW3 is that it's so slow and often freezes up for no apparent reason. And why does installing an update take up to 2 hours?

I have stayed on 1.023Z and have not encountered anymore problems with the editing so far. Haven't really had to do much work with PLC lately so didn't bother to upgrade yet.

The program is terribly slow sometimes though like Luke.S said. For me it's mainly when writing to and reading from the PLC. Could be the fact that I'm connecting through my GOT though.

Does anyone know/remember how to get a list of all the devices that are currently in use in a project? I use both GXW3 and GTD3 so it would be nice to do a cross reference so I don't accidentally start sending stuff into the wrong places from the GOT.

Ctrl + D will bring up the device list. Or at the top there is a button with "DEV" and a table on it. The cross reference is the button next to that.

I've found that a lot of issues are fixed if you update to the latest version. Especially if you are using Mitsubishi function blocks or just purchased new hardware.They've added a lot of new stuff and probably updated firmware recently.

It might be that you are in Insert mode. To switch to Overwrite mode, press Insert on your keyboard.