Thermo

If not Omron, then what?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Some of you may have read my earlier saga of, on impulse, buying an obsolete Omron CPM1A + expansion unit and the subsequent trials and tribulations of obtaining suitable software and cable to talk to it.

It's looking increasingly like my Omron-branded oversize Lego block will remain an interesting paperweight. So, given that I have a small 'home' project that I'd like to implement and have written a plausible program in Syswin for the CPM1A, what are your suggestions for a way to go if the CPM1A remains 'incommunicardo'?

Automation direct have their CLICK 8/6 I/O micro PLC and cable for a low cost with, supposedly, free software.  This should have all the smarts I need for my simple program.  Any other suggestions?  Please bear in mind, this is for a home-brew project and self-training, so obvioculy I won't be spending $mega on 'all singing, all dancing' software like CX-One.

Thanks all,
Ian

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may not need a PLC at all.  The Omron Zen is a small programmable controller with relay outputs.  You could use it to do some of the things PLCs do, like timers and counters and logic.  Just not much use for things like math and analog control.

I have used CPM1A before, and it's a good little PLC.  But I also used an official Omron cable, so I had no trouble getting online with it.  I recommended before that you get a CPM1-CIF01 and make a serial cable, or get the CQM1-CIF02.  If you need to use a USB to serial adapter, I always had great sucess with many vendor's PLCs using the Keyspan USA-19HS USB to serial adapter.  Some of the others out there (and the generic cables) are just crap.

Be patient Ian - I will PM you my address and I will try it for you with CX-P. Maybe try the Chinese cable as well?

Hi Crossbow & Bob,

Thank you both for your suggestions and help.  However, it seems Gtsuport's suggestion to try the Trail version of CX-One has paid off.  If only this endless Clear All Memory process will end - or have I created another monster...

Ian

PS: Please disregard comments about "endless Clear All Memory process".  It worked correctly and I've since downloaded and monitored my program.  It's just that the comms LED and the USB adapter LED's now flicker continuously.  But everything seems to be working, so I'm not complaining.  Ian

Edited by Thermo
PS added

On 3/11/2016 at 0:31 AM, Crossbow said:

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may not need a PLC at all.  The Omron Zen is a small programmable controller with relay outputs.  You could use it to do some of the things PLCs do, like timers and counters and logic.  Just not much use for things like math and analog control.

I have used CPM1A before, and it's a good little PLC.  But I also used an official Omron cable, so I had no trouble getting online with it.  I recommended before that you get a CPM1-CIF01 and make a serial cable, or get the CQM1-CIF02.  If you need to use a USB to serial adapter, I always had great sucess with many vendor's PLCs using the Keyspan USA-19HS USB to serial adapter.  Some of the others out there (and the generic cables) are just crap.

Thanks for the Zen suggestion, Mr Crossbow.  I've just read the brochure and I'm sure it would eat my simple application for breakfast.  Shame the turkey at Omron Aust didn't bother to mention it as an alternative to his $1000+ suggestion - I would have been interested.  I'm now happy I can play around with my CPM1A for the time being but I'll keep the Zen in mind should I need to do a simple 'real' project in future.  Ian

Great to hear - now you can get Syswin online and have a play! CX-P is much better but quite expensive of course as it is the whole suite.