ArtLogos

General Motors Process platforms

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am tasked with doing some research for our company. (automation / controls ) and wondered if anyone here might know of a resource to find out what platforms they are using at the various GM plants. I'm looking for the Process PLC / Safety PLC / HMI software.

Much thanks,

Even if I knew my advice to you would be go ask the different GM locations like the rest of the sales world does or purchase the information from one of those data banks that claims they know all. Then go to the different GM locations to verify the purchased data.

I'm not a sales person, but your point is well taken. Likely why they asked me to do this. I'd go to the locations if they'd let me. ; )

These lists generally show up somewhere.

Don't wait for someone to give you a list. Use the Internet and a telephone.

Just takes a little patience & work, people used to use those things.

I've been in a few of their plants, and some had old Modicon PLCs, some had Omron PLCs, and others had a mix.  Can't help on the HMI, last one I saw in a GM plant was an old Cutler Hammer Panelmate.

I think different plants have different specs.  And in other automotive plants I've been in, the spec changes from department to department.

Thanks Crossbow.  I believe you are 100% correct. I'm finding multiple platforms within........  appreciate the input.

I have worked for a Fortune 50 company and know that most large corporations have "strict" controls platform selection policies, such as all ControlLogix with PanelView Plus 7 HMI.  And that some plant locations stray from the heard if certain key technical people can sway the internal exclusion support (explaining how different plants have different specs).

That being said, most of large corporations spell out what they want in their Request For Quotation documents.  So the people who end up knowing the base controls requirements are sprinkled here and there, and generally these documents are not to be distributed freely due to Non-Disclosure Agreements.

So you don't know what the customers want until the customers ask for it.

One work around is to get a dialog going with regional sales reps/factory sales engineers for the controls suppliers/manufacturers.  The Fortune 50 company I was with, as well as General Motors, are both high up on the food chain with Rockwell/Allen-Bradley and often integrate A-B's new technology before released to the public (and thusly mandate these platforms, once they have been proven).

Rockwell's technology seminars are excellent places to rub elbows with both ends of the spectrum (suppliers and customers).