namang

Interfacing a ControlLogix 5571 PLC

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I intend to connect to a ControlLogix 5571 PLC through a work station and program it. One way is to install the RSLinx driver and then use the Studio 5000 (RSLogix) to upload / download projects onto the PLC. Is there any other way for doing the same? Is it possible to connect to the PLC serially (through the USB) and run a client like PuTTY / serial consoles (minicom, picocom) on the workstation, and then interface with the PLC?

Also, I have one other query. What is the firmware that is running on the PLC? Is it VxWorks OS? Or some modification? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you. 

The only way to program a Logix 5571 is with Studio 5000.  I am not aware of any other way to download Logix PLC programs.

The firmware that runs on a Logix PLC is Rockwell firmware.  Brand new processors typically have very early firmware, like Ver. 1.3 or similar.  The first thing you want to do with a 5570 series PLC is to connect then update the firmware.  Serial firmware updates take FOREVER and if your communication is disrupted (like somebody accidentally tripping your serial cable out or your laptop PC going into hibernate mode), then it is very likely that this processor is "bricked" (i.e., worthless, ready to ship back to A-B for repair).

To "flash" the firmware of Logix PLCs, one uses A-B's ControlFlash software along with a download and install of the latest 5571 firmware pack.  

I am attaching a few Work Instructions I created some time ago related to this subject.

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley 5370 L3 PLC IP Addressing.doc

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley CompactLogix L2 PLC Connect.doc

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley CompactLogix Firmware Upgrade.doc

Hi kaiser_will,

Thank you for sharing those work instructions. Those should be good help.

It's sad that there is no other way to interface with those PLCs. Should you / anyone have any leads whatsoever, kindly send them my way.

Thank you.  

Hello All

I have Logix 5571 PLC, I'm trying to configure the same through studio 5000 the PLC module not shown in device list, what could be the reason? please help to resole the issue

What module are you trying to use and what firmware is the 5571?

Alan.