Matt47715

Wanting to learn computer programming/data collections for industrial applications

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I work as an industrial programmer primarily dealing with Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, and Omron PLC's as well as various peripheral devices. I would like to begin the process of learning computer programming as it pertains to the manufacturing industry. I'd like to learn how to write databases (SQL, etc) and VB apps and eventually I'd like to be able to write applications that can communicate with PLC's and other devices (although the last one would be a ways down the road).  I have very little experience with computer programming so I don't really know where to start. What language should I learn first? What free software is available to learn with? What resources do you recommend I use? I've downloaded Visual Basic Express and found some introductory courses online that I've just started but if there is something else I should've started with I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

it is not the language that matters, it is what you do with it. VB is nice and easy to learn on...

I agree with panic mode, it's really up to you. However, I feel that since you have no experience at all with computer programming, maybe consider C# if you go for a Microsoft product. It might just be my feeling, but it looks like C# is getting more popular amongst computer programmers than VB.NET, hence there's easier to find help on the internet by googling your questions. In addition, my personal experience is that if you know C# it's pretty easy to understand VB.NET, however that is not as easy the other way around (again, my personal opinion).

You can get C# in the express edition aswell as VB.NET (which you've downloaded).

So all in all, you can choose yourself. Just choose something that has a lot of online communities and help forums, topics and so on. I would therefore go with VB.NET or C# as there's tons and tons of online information.

I am new to the site. Just need to know what computer language is the actual programming software written in. I know that the applications can be written in ladder, SFC, etc

You want to know which language/software the different PLC development tools are developed in? That's "impossible" for us to know, they're normally .exe files in a setup package or similar, so who knows what tools are used to "make" the software... Why do you wonder?

Hello kaare_t

Thank You for the post. There is no particular reason except that its called ''completing the circle of learning''.

Its just interesting to know what happens ''behind the scenes'' in PLC development

I started in VB.NET, and have since moved over to all C#.NET

Save yourself some pain and start with C#.

There is also a place for C++ (but that gets more into the field of writing programs for micro controllers).

There is a guy on Youtube who has a real good series on setting up a very basic SQL database app. The application itself will not be very useful to you, but the principals, and methods are very good. This fellow also expects you to type everything out yourself which is also very good for you. You will learn much more that way. Here is a link to the first video in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOJV-Z7cmkc

Edited by jawolthuis