bagged2drag

logix 5000 Upgrade to v20.01 from 17

8 posts in this topic

I a tried upgrading logix5000 from v17 to v20.1.   While 5000 is launching, it shows at the bottom that versions up through 20.1 are installed, but once it is fully loaded and logix is up, when I go to the help- about, it only shows version 17 even if I choose the dropdown. 

Does anyone know if this is normal?  Alternatively, would somebody have a file they could send me that is v20 so I can verify it works?

When I did the update, most of the upgrade selections seemed to fail, but when I tried to reinstall, it said everything was already installed. 

Kris

Logix 5000 will show all of the installed versions on the startup splash screen.  It is not indicative of what version you're opening up until it's completely opened.  The version will be in the title bar and\or the Help->About screen.  If Help->About says 17, that's the version of the file currently opened.  If you're trying to upgrade the processor, you need to flash it.  When you download the firmware from Rockwell, it will come with the 'ControlFLASH' utility.

You may want to think about upgrading to 20.04, not 20.01.  

If you don't already have a bunch of v20 stuff around, I would skip straight to 24.  There are 2 major revisions of v20 that are not compatible with each other and cannot coexist on the same PC.

Thank you both for the reply.   Right now I am unable to upgrade to anything beyond 20.01.  At this moment don't have the capital to purchase a new version of logix5000.   I actually have the installer for 24 (logix designer), but my 20.01 is installed on a winxp virtual machine, so I can't install 24 on it as it's not compatible (unless someone knows a workaround).  I didn't know the perils of putting my license on the vm when I had gotten the computer a number of years back, nor did I know the hassle of dealing with factorytalk activation (I was brand new to programming at the time). 

You can re-host the activation to another computer without too much difficulty (I've had to do it several times).  And your existing license will activate v24 with no issues.  Can you create a Windows 7 VM?  I have a Win7 x64 host with a LOT of memory running several VMs, a few XP and a few more Win7.  The licenses are hosted to the main laptop with host-only networks for the VMs to check out licenses from the host as needed.  It actually works pretty seamlessly, except for very slow start times for RSLinx and RSLogix/Studio 5000.

I was trying to figure out how to rehost it.  I did the rehost aspect successfully, but when I try to "get activations,"  I enter my sn, but I don't have the product key any longer (i was dumb and didn't keep it: lesson learned).  So I am unsure how to get the activation now.   I found the email I have from setting up the original techconnect, but I no longer have access to the email server I set it up on.  

I also tried to create a virtual network adapter so I could choose that for the host id, but it doesn't show up.  How exactly do you set up the host only networks?   I have both an xp and win7 32 bit vm on my laptop, and from the sounds of it, it may be better to use  32bit version of win7 anyway with factorytalk view, when I set it up.

So I was able to log in to rockwell.  But to get my activation, I still have to enter the product key.  I am looking on my old computer to see if I kept a digital copy of it.  I am hoping I did, but I had a lot of files that got corrupted when I backed up my data. 

Contact their chat or email support.  That's free for activation issues, which this is. 

You would re-host the license to a piece of real hardware on the host laptop, either the HD or the built in NIC.  I've traditionally used the HD, but I think the NIC may be a better choice since we've seen more hard drives fail than network adapters.

For the host-only, go to the virtual machine settings, hardware tab, click "Add" at the bottom.  Select "Network Adapter", "Next", "Host-Only", "Finish".  Inside the VM, it will default to use DHCP, which is what you want.  Open the network properties and see what the VM's IP address is.  The host will be the same subnet but the last octet will be 1.  For example, my XP VM gets the address 192.168.138.128.  Therefore, the host is 192.168.138.1.  You should be able to ping it.

To get the licensing to work,  you'll need the same or newer version of FactoryTalk Activation Manager (FTAM) installed on the host.

Then, in the VM's FTAM, go to "Manage Activations", "Update Activation Search Path".  Click "Add Server" at the bottom and type in the host's IP address under "Path to Activations".  I've never had that not work, across multiple VMs on 5 laptops. 

Edited by Joe E.