Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Fred

Plc5/40 Ethernet Hardware Connection

3 posts in this topic

I've got a Ethernet PLC5/40 (1785-L40E/E) on an existing machine. The ethernet part was never used and I would like to play around with it a little bit. Is there a adapter or cable to go from the 15-pin Ethernet port (ch. 2) to the modular plug used in "standard" ethernet systems. What do I need (or can I) connect to a standard office variety network? Thanks in advance.

Fred, I've been using the LE2041A "Mini 10BT Transceiver" from Black Box with good results - it costs about $60. Go to www.blackbox.com and do a catalog search for the part number. Once you get this connected, if you want to play around - and you have a version of RSLinx (something above the free "Lite" version) - you can run that on your office computer and extract data from the PLC over Ethernet into something like Excel. There are a few recent links on this forum (about DDE) that should help get you started. If you just have RSLinx Lite, you can set up an AB_ETH driver and program the PLC over Ethernet. Other responders may be able to give you more ideas. Good luck, Ron

Don't confuse "standard" with "common". The 15-pin connector (AUI interface) is a standard that pre-dates the ubiquitous 10 base T standard. As Ron says, you need a transceiver to connect the AUI port to an ethernet network. Different transceivers are available for "thick wire", "thin wire", and "twisted pair". The thick and thin versions are multi-drop topologies using coax for the trunk line with the thick version having a greater maximum length. Twisted pair topology is a dedicated connection to a hub.