TheEquineFencer

"newbie" to Siemens, ID of PLC and uses please

12 posts in this topic

Several years ago I took some classes at the local community college, two of which were basic PLC programming. The classes were centered around AB RSLogix500 and Logic Pro 500 software. A couple of years ago I had a live rack of AB RSlogix500 PLCs and was saving to buy a stripped down software version, but the shop burned down and all that was lost. I have the shop back now for the most part and want to start back learning and building things again.

Recently in my search of a newly found salvage yard I've started finding some PLC controlled devices that I can purchase at a rather good price. The guy that runs the yard doesn't have a clue what a PLC is and really doesn't care. In my shop here at home I have some equipment I'd like to play around with and "automate" it if I can do it on the cheap. I just started a new job and after talking to our IT guy, he found out I'm a whiz at electrical problems and like to "tinker with things", so he's checking to see what free, legitimate software for PLCs he has I can get. He's a pretty cool guy, he's looking around to see what he can come up with for a used/new laptop for installing the software on.  I really want to "brush up" on PLC work as I've had some headhunters call me recently with offers looking someone with PLC experience. The equipment I found at that salvage yard has pneumatic devices and optic sensors and such. I'm pretty decent at AB PLC searches and figuring out what the different modules can do when I find them, but Siemens are a different animal to me. Trying to figure out the model numbers and what the device is capable is a little difficult. I took some pictures of the devices and here's the numbers I could find on them. 6ES7-212-1AB22-OXBO, S7-200 and what looks like 6EP1 332-1SH41 on the other. I guess I need a crash course in Siemens PLCs and how/what legitimate software I need and what it cost. Around here from what I see AB and Siemens are the two most popular. I think learning Siemens software would be a good idea for diversification. 

Right now my brain is geared toward wanting/needing a PLC with basic relay type outputs. I have a couple of ideas for later on that I'll need analog I/O. 

BTW, I'm a 1960's vintage guy with a 16 year olds desire to learn and do. Recently my body has been reminding my brain it's 1960's vintage, so I guess it's time I started using my head more than my body to make a living.

Thanks for any help you can offer, 

Floyd.

Hi,

the unit that you are looking for, need to be searched as : 6ES7 212-1AB22-0XB0     not ........OXBO.

It is a 24VDc powered CPU with 8 DI 24V  and 6 DO 24V.

The capabilities of that unit you will find on next document:

If you think that need more info about S7 200, feel free to ask.

dekor.

6ES72121AB230XB0.pdf

Hi,

the software is called Microwin. Latest version is 4 and latest Service Pack is SP9.

Siemens ordering code is 6ES7 810 2CC03 0YX0.

As I found on RS web site the price is around 540 EURO.

For sure you may found somewhere even for free.

To be connected to S7-200 controller you will need an Siemens converter.

Part number for an USB version of that programming converter is 6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0.

Personally, I create my own converter which is   an RS232/RS485 converter.

It will work OK for programming. But it will not be good for communications trough modem or other complex communication.

dekor.

The S7-200 PLC is obsolete now.

I believe MicroWin to program it is free now, maybe wrong believe it is.

I would add, if you want to learn this to understand Siemens, this was not a typical Siemens system, its original design was from Texas Instruments.

Edited by Groo

So a standard Siemens does not use this logic? That's what I'd like to know as I'd like to learn more about PLC programming and thought this might be a good way to get my feet wet with it. 

Siemens processors all use logic.  What they are saying is the programming software and programming methods are a bit different between the big processors and the S7-200.  The big stuff uses a different software which is far more complex than Microwin.  Very little of what you learn playing in Microwin would be applicable to any other Siemens controllers.

My main reason for wanting to buy the equipment at the scrap yard was to try to get my feet wet with Siemens PLC software and programming and use it for some "projects" here at my shop. I had a rack of AB RsLogix 500 here before the fire, the building was a total loss, no insurance on the contents. So I'm "starting over."  What I'd love to find is a rack of PLCs that I can get software for without breaking the bank and do some fun stuff with it. The rack I had was basically relay outputs with 120v-240v digital inputs. I also had two analog inputs "cards" on that rack. I found I could get a "stripped down" version of 500 software for $1500 USD. 

If you are set on learning Siemens, then good luck.  They tend to be one of the pricier systems.

Many vendors offer starter kits which come with a PLC, software, cables, etc.

I would consider getting a starter kit for a new and actually still current PLC.  Omron or Mitsubishi would be lower cost.

For Siemens you'd be looking at S7-1200 as a starter and I believe if your restricting yourself to this smaller PLC there is a cheaper software option.

Thanks! I'll try to get up with the Siemens distributor here in the states when I get time.