Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThePEee

GuardLogix to GE 90/70 Communication Bridge

2 posts in this topic

Hi to all, new to this forum.

I have some projects to upgrade existing control systems from GE Fanuc 90/70 series controllers to Allen Bradley GuardLogix (or ControlLogix). The projects must be managed in phases, where through a portion of the project, the existing GE and new Allen Bradley controllers will need to co-exist, sharing each other's connected I/O and processor status for program operation. I've reviewed some options for a communication card that would reside in the Allen Bradley modular rack, but concerned that effort to use an Ethernet based TCP/IP protocol is impractical due to GE's proprietary Ethernet protocol of the time period (circa 1992 for these controllers). Modbus serial is a possibility, but wanted to exhaust Ethernet options first. I have a SCADA connection in place now, using OPC server connection to GE and Allen Bradley processors in the plant. I would like something more robust with distinct traffic between controllers. I am also open to using a dedicated PC with network cards and drivers to connect directly to PLCs, but would prefer a third party packaged system to avoid development time and OPC type connections.

Anyone have any ideas or tested solutions for this particular application? I'm all ears! Thanks in advance.

:-)

hello, try to check MV156-EGD this is from prosoft which is a reliable partner of Rockwell Automation. it a GE Fanuc to Controllogix data exchange over ethernet.

Cheers,

Ganie