Armadillo852

Wireless Communication

6 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I just had a brain storm while I was setting up a new piece of equipment. As most of us who setup new equipment, we use a long, long, long Ethernet cable when we are trying to reach the end of the machine. I was wondering if anyone has used a portable wireless router instead of a cable. I carry a Cisco router currently, but it isn't very portable. I also thought about Bluetooth, but not sure the range and/or if it works.

Any thoughts on products? The big key is portability for me.

I use a Cradlepoint CBR400 and a 24VDC to 12VDC convertor. Cradlepoint has obsoleted then so I'm hoping someone else will step in with a similar product. It is a single port Ethernet and USB device with wireless. So you can not only connect wirelessly to a machine but you can use a USB cell modem to connect to your machine also.

Thanks TW. They do have a replacement model with 2 Ethernet ports. But they sure are pricey. 

Plus the built in cell is a negative. That means you have to change them out when the next cell standard comes our as opposed to changing the USB modem only. Still plenty of CBR400s out there so I'm not in a hurry to switch.

I always carry a wireless router for my checkouts.  It not only allows me to connect to the PLC wirelessly but lets me do my SCADA checkout with an iPad.

Hello Russell,

I carry one as well. I was just looking for something smaller. As a service tech, I already carry too much junk...