Donovanr

Kinetix 5500 with Mpl motors

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am after some feedback from anyone who has used the Kinetix 5500 drives with Mpl motors on a motion project containing up to 12-18 axis. How reliable have they been? What logix firmware did you end up with?  I have used both the Kinetix 6000/6500/300 drives in the past but would like another opinion before I attempt to promote this product to my customer. Thanks  Edited by Donovanr

We finished our first Kinetix 5500 project more than a year ago with very good success, utilizing a CompactLogix 1769-L33ERM (can support up to 8 axes).  This application had (7) servo axes.  When this servo controller platform first came out, it only supported the new VPL servo motor series; Rockwell has been adding more MPL motors to their series. For you, 1769-L36ERM (5370 L3 CompactLogix) can support up to 16 axes.  To support more axes through coordinated motion, one will need to look at a ControlLogix CPU with a 1756-EN3TR module (up to 128 axes). This solution was developed with Logix5000 Ver. 21.   Electrically, the K5500 platform is a really nice hardware solution that greatly reduces panel space and the number of components.  Software-wise the platform worked out very, very well.  The objective was to build a machine that could complete 200 indexes a minute and the end result was max speed could be pushed up to 250 indexes a minute (with ample capacity still available).  Unfortunately, our marketing group did not understand the market well enough and we wound up with an expensive, fast machine that few customers have given a chance. The only issue I had with the K5500 platform is that I would prefer if the T-bar power connectors could be secured with screws (they simply plug into the top of the controllers).  If they are installed on a machine with a lot of vibration, I could see the potential for an open circuit connection. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1769-sg001_-en-p.pdf http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/gmc-rm009_-en-p.pdf http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1756-sg001_-en-p.pdf

Hi Kaiser_will

Thanks for your reply.

We have decided to stick with K6500 servo drives and MPL motors on this project using an L36ERM to control them. There are also 2x auxiliary encoders required to follow 3rd party belt speeds. I didn't like the idea of using the ethernet ip rotary encoders out in the field due to the number of cables required and also the cost factor.

Sounds like you had some great success with the K5500 drives on your project.