chantecler

RSLogix 5000: Upgrade from v20 to v21

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, A client of mine just bought RS Studio 5000 v21 and a laptop to have his own in-factory tool an also to backup all the programs that I have done for him. I have not installed the software on his computer yet. Months ago I upgraded all firmwares and programs from v17 to v20 using my own RSLogix 5000. My questions are: Can I open his v20 programs on his RS Studio v21? Can I download v20 to my client’s computer for free? I am kind of confused. Thank you

He needs to have version 20 installed on his computer in order to view v20 programs. V20 is the crossover version in which  the rslogix 5000 becomes Studio 5000 designer so it is available in both software and it can be confusing.... I think he can still download v20 on rockwell website using his studio 5000 logix license number.

Fantastic!    Thank you very much   I didn't know there was such a Studio 5000 v20    

Ok, I misunderstood something. There isn't such a thing like Studio 5000 v20. In order to upgrade an application from v20 to v21 you must have both: Studio 5000 v21 and RSLogix 5000 v20. You open your v20 project with Studio 5000 which automatically invokes RSLogix v20 to open the application. The rest is straight forward as usual. In the controller properties dialog you change the controller from v20 to v21 and save it. Then you just have to flash your controller, download the new v21 application and that's it. Few controllers are upgradeable, see the appended .jpg. In this particular case I will only be able to upgrade the L24ER. I just hope I can download RSLogix v20 from the Rockwell website for free to my client's computer using his license, otherwise I'm going to have ask our Local Rockwell for help. My intentions now are installing RSLogix 5000 v20 and leaving the rest as it is Bye   Edited by chantecler

If you have an RSLogix 5000 license you can run any version, all the way up to the latest (V29?). You are correct about Studio 5000 automatically opening up RSLogix 5000 on older versions. Also, I would recommend skipping right past V21, as it has known issues and going straight to V24 or higher. I haven't had much opportunity to use the higher versions so I can't speak for them myself.

An update

The Studio 5000 package came with a DVD containing RsLogix 5000 from v12 to v20 so there was nothing to be worried about. (This is what happens for not checking).

I ended up installing the software, backing up the applications, testing and leaving everything v20 since most CPUs were not upgradeable.

be mindful on Studio 5000 Revision, this new software is very critical with minor revisions if you developed your code on V20 and you open up in V20.01 it will prompt you to upgrade else it wont open, same as 21 up.. not like the older logix v19 down that minor revision is not that critical. 

cheers,
ganie