hboyer90

How to add a device to RSLinx Enterprise

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. So when I use FactoryTalk View Studio for my PanelView Plus Terminals sometimes I will need to upload a program from a PanelView that I have never connected to before. In order to upload/download I will first need to add the device in RSLinx Enterprise. I'm still a little confused on the difference between RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, but anyways the method I usually use is just open an existing program in FactoryTalk View Studio, and go to RSLinx Enterprise from there and add it. Is there a more direct way to add a device rather than opening a FTV Studio project? There is no standalone RSLinx Enterprise application, correct? Thanks

Rockwell has a RSLinx Comparison chart. Of course, it is missing Enterprise (which I believe became Gateway...I could be wrong). Classic does not have all of the features, such as creating an OPC connection. http://www.software.rockwell.com/download/extranet/manual/portfolio/design/RSLinx/@SellTools/Linx%20comparison%20charts.pdf I believe your primary question is...how does one add a PView Plus terminal to Linx without having to open a FTView ME project? Once you have established a connection with a device, Linx will remember that device connection and display it in the list in the right-pane. If that device is not connected at that time, the device will be shown with a red X through it. What driver are you using for connecting to the PVPlus device in Linx?

The PV+ upload/download utility should launch an RSLinx Enterprise browser, which will automatically discover and display devices on the Ethernet network. If you're using serial to download to the terminals, and there's no serial driver currently configured in RSLinx Enterprise, then in general you do need to open up FTView Studio. You can start and stop browsing from the RSLinx Enterprise browser pane in the Upload/Download Utility, but you can't create a new driver.
2 people like this

My normal procedure right now if I want to communicate with a new PanelView Plus Terminal is to first launch a pre-existing application in FTView Studio, then go to Connections then to RSLinx Enterprise then right click on Ethernet and add a device. Then I find the PanelView Plus terminal model/ revision, put in my IP address and then the driver is added to RSLinx Enterprise. From then on it's always in there, I can upload/download no problem. I was just curious if there was an easier way to add a new driver in Enterprise other than launching a pre-existing application which takes several minutes to load.
1 person likes this

Ken's advice is spot on. You do not need to add a device to see a new PanelView Plus on an Ethernet network. You do however need the Ethernet driver already added. Once it is added, it does not go away. Go to Rockwell Software > Factory Talk View > Tools > ME Transfer Utility. You should be able to browse to your new PanelView Plus via the Ethernet driver. I do not know of an alternative to adding the Ethernet driver to RSLinx Enterprise other than opening FactoryTalk View.