efraga

RSLinx ethernet IP driver with Red Mark

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been working with RSLogix 500, today i found that i was unable to connect to Micrologix PLC because in the RSLinx the Driver Ethernet IP that was configured to communicate whit PLC appears with a Red Cross. Yesterday everything was working. I've installed an antivirus software, i supposed the reason was the antivirus, but i've tried on configs and even uninstalling it, and RSLinx seems that can't reconigze the ethernet adapter (guess that means red cross) RSLinx 3.51 CPR 9 SR 5.1 RSLogix 500 Pro 9.0 Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits Could you, provide to me some guidelines to solve this, or if somebody has had this problem, could share the solution? thanks in advance

Hi everybody, Guess that the forum is useful because of the information and experiences exchange. So, i've found that there was a windows 7 feature enabled the same day RSLinx EthernetIP Driver stopped working. The feature is Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. It's curious because i rememeber working in other PCs that had this same utility enabled and don't remember to have troubles with RSLinx Drivers. I just follow some steps to disable de WiFi Miniport Adapter, and after that, the Ethernet IP drivers in RSLinx worked properly. Now, i'm thinking... why the WiFi Miniport caused malfunctions in RSLinx Drivers, for a "fix it and move on" solution, disabling de Miniport is ok. but i think it would be ok if i could understand the reasons of drivers failure.

RSLinx is the communication layer for your development PC to communicate with Allen-Bradley PLCs, HMIs, etc. Your development PC has various mainboard devices that can possibly be connected to Ethernet/IP devices (i.e., hard LAN port, wireless LAN adapter, etc.). Sometimes RSLinx can be confused as to which mainboard device you intend to use to connect to the A-B device(s). Most of us disable our Wi-Fi port, connect to the A-B device, verify connectivity in RSLinx, get connected to the device, enable Wi-Fi port. 2 tools to remember when troubleshooting networking issues... 1. Pinging the IP address of the device you want to communicate with (open a DOS prompt or select WINDOWS key and enter cmd; type ping 192.168.1.100 then press ENTER key) or whatever IP address; verify your development PC's networking settings AND ETHERNET CABLE are functioning properly 2. WireShark...excellent FREE Ethernet/IP sniffing tool. Turn off all of your needless devices (i.e., disable Wi-Fi port), start sniffing. Great tools for verifying devices are actually connected and communicating.

So, if you are doing an OPC DA connection to RSLinx on the Windows 10 PC you may be getting impacted by the Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities that Microsoft sent security updates out. These would have happened on or after 1/3/2018. These updates broke most OPC Classic processing. Microsoft release updates to these to fix the breaks last Friday. I received this, I know you are using windows 7 but just for an information share

This post is more than 2 years old.