Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hboyer90

Connecting a Fanuc R-30iB controller to CompactLogix L30ER

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I am trying to get a Fanuc R-30iB controller added into my RSLogix program. The PLC is a CompactLogix 1769-L30ER When I search for new modules to add I see a pre setup Fanuc Robot Ethernet module, but I can't get that to work. I tried following Fanuc's instructions and setting it up as a generic ethernet module, but I couldn't get that to work either, it just says i/o not responding for that module. I am definitely able to ping the Fanuc controller, so I believe I am seeing it. When I add the controller in RSLinx, it's there, but there is no icon next to it's name. I'm guessing because its a fairly new controller, and it came out after the version of RSLinx that I'm using? Don't I need to download the EDS file for the new controller so that Linx can recognize it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You say "When I add the controller in RSLinx, it's there, but there is no icon next to it's name", how do you know it is there? I have seen before if RSLinx has a question mark, it is lacking the EDS file for that controller. With some devices, one can right-click on the question mark icon in RSLinx and upload the EDS file from the controller. My understanding is that RSLinx will often not know how to link the communication layer with RSLogix without the EDS file. I searched Fanuc's website and Googled for the EDS file and came up with nothing. I will ask the obvious...your Fanuc Fanuc R-30iB robot controller was purchased with the Ethernet/IP option? There is a port for it, yes, but unless the option (i.e., PAC code) was installed when Fanuc prepped the robot, you may be at a road block. It has been some time since I networked a Logix PLC with a Fanuc robot. I used to do this alot, but early on they were all DeviceNet, so bear with me if I step on the other method. I believe you need to...setup the number of INPUT WORDS and OUTPUT WORDS in the robot controller that will communicate with the PLC. The last time I worked with Fanuc, the controllers have no idea about Logix tags (which Logix is a tag-based controller). You declare how many words and then link bits or parts of the words from that block of input/output memory with your Fanuc functions. After you declare the number of words in the Fanuc controller, you want to create Logix UDT tags that will write and read these words. In your PLC tag list, toggle tag bits and monitor them in your Fanuc pendant to verify they are changing state properly (for discrete tags). Do the same for word values, keeping in mind you may need to send/receive characters with the robot controller (such as read back the program main routine called up, such as if there are multiple main programs to select). Before you jump in whole hog, take time to consider how many words you need (I usually got by with 8 words in/8 words out). If you fall short and have to add, you may wind up having to re-map all of your Fanuc memory bits because you had to slide in another 1 or 2 Input words. If I remember right, this process is very, very similar for DeviceNet...it is a stack of memory for inputs and outputs and the Robot controller writes/reads this block of memory that the PLC reads/writes to. I am certain I have a Work Instruction I authored to capture how to do this. Unfortunately it is at home. I will link the file in tonight so the class can follow along. Good luck.

Ok, thank you for the write up. The work instruction would be great, if you still have it. I am very new to PLC programming, only 2 years of schooling and 1 year of work experience, and this is my first time working with Fanuc other than teaching simple pick and place points. If it matters at all, we have two 32 point DC input modules and 1 32 point DC output module connected to the CompactLogix. Thanks again. Howard

I forgot to answer your other question, sorry. Yes, this one definitely has the Ethernet option. I set up the IP address and was able to ping it and everything. I added it as an Ethernet device driver in RSLinx and it sees it as a Fanuc Robot, but it doesn't have an icon for it, just a little yellow question mark, no red X, just a yellow question mark. If I open up it's properties from RSLinx, it is able to give me the Manufacturer, the Model, the Revision, and some other info. So I do believe that I am communicating with it, I just think that RSLinx must need it's EDS file so that it can see it. Not sure if that affects the PLC being able to see it or not. Anyways any help is always appreciated. Thanks Howard

Also, I was talking to my Rockewell/AB rep and he said that there may be an add-on instruction created by the manufacturer for this specific model that would allow me to communicate via normal ladder logic, if not then I will have to set it up as a generic Ethernet module or use message instructions. I'm not sure what he's talking about with the add-on instruction. Any thoughts? Thanks Howard