Rockford

Flash a CompactLogix with Protection

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, I have a CompactLogix controller 1769-L33ER that was sold to us by a vendor and it is protected. We dont have the security file. Is there any way to clear the memory on the controller and start fresh? Everytime I've tried to use the ControlFLASH program I get a "Security Authentication Error: You do not have permission to perform this operation due to inconsistent security authority ID!" Thanks in advance.

I believe trying to work around security is a violation of this board's rules.

I'm not trying to "WORK AROUND SECURITY" I'm trying to make a processor usable that has a secured program in it. I don't want the secured program that is in the processor - I want the processor to be available to be programmed with my own program!!!! ControlFALSH will not work and it appears that Allen Bradley wants me to throw away $2,500 to buy a new processor, is this correct? That once secured always secured unless you have the security file - what if your computer crashes and you don't have a back up security file, the processor is toast because it can never be accessed again? That is what I'm trying to find out. Thank you,

take it easy, folks ... this type of operation is NOT against the rules ... have you tried disconnecting the battery - powering off the unit - and letting it die a graceful death? ... THEN (if necessary) try the ControlFlash operation to clear out any traces of "left-over" memory? ... DISCLAIMER: I have never worked with your model processor - but personally I'd try the above operation and see if it helps ...does this particular model even HAVE a battery? ... also - if this model has a "memory card" - (SD, etc.) - I'd remove that too when trying to kill the existing memory ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Thanks Ron, No battery in this one - so that graceful death won't work. Also, tried removing the SD - no luck there either. We've tried connecting through the USB, ethernet, etc. We have our local AB distributor contacting AB support and we will try AB support today as well. Any other ideas are welcome, if someone else has come across this.

Problem Solved. There is a small push button under the Prog-Rem-Run switch that needs to be pressed, with a paper clip or other small device, when the controller is powering up. This will wipe out the program memory, but the communication information (IP Address, etc.) will remain in the processor. So if the IP isn't known, you'll have to try and find it.

Good info. Thanks for posting the solution.

Thanks for this solution.

Now I have a similar problem except with a different processor.

The 1756-L71 Logix 5571. Is ther a same kind of cure for these processors ?