legionbornagain

wiring a vac proximity sensor to ML1400

5 posts in this topic

I'm having a hard time finding a schematic for wiring a 2 wire ac sensor to me micrologix 1400(L32awaa)and I am a noob. can someone please tell me how to wire these without blowing up the sensor?

Look at page 36 of the following manual. You would connect your 110VAC or L1 to one wire of your sensor and connect the other wire to your input. Then connect the com of the group associated with that input to the neutral or L2. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1766-um001_-en-p.pdf&ved=0CDMQFjABahUKEwiT45-I7uPIAhVO7mMKHT95Drk&usg=AFQjCNEnqITUpNs1q9JaYKEAOrv2ubDxnQ&sig2=_Q4l-TUlwmO8WwR_bIQmLg
1 person likes this

I first want to say thank you for the fast reply. To back track a bit, I didn't know that the ml 1400 I have only has ac inputs, and got dc sensors and spent all day researching npn pnp sensors how they work and trying to figure out why the plc was not recognizing the input. I have the tendency to completely over think schematics when my brain is mush after hours of research. I figured that this is the way to wire it but i wanted to make sure after watching this video ( ) it really threw me off that she was using the relay. since ac sensors arent as common I was having trouble finding a good dumbed down schematic for my melted brain to understand. this is obviously a simple process but again I really want to say thank you for your time, I almost never get a response when I post to sites like this. Its good to know this forum is active.

Don't know if your budget allows for it but you could put an IB16 expansion module on it to add DC inputs.

Long story short a previous maintenance guy spent 30,000-50,000 on a project that was never going to work( non food grade materials and well he had no idea what he was doing). I'm re purposing his pouring machine which was not even completed or something usable. we have packers and people that count the packages by hand. I worked with a ml 1000 in school, designing automation processes so i figured this would be a piece of cake. I did know that i could get an expansion but im trying to spend as little money as possible and im going to need about 13 sensors. I think the cheapest expansion only had 8 dc inputs for around 200 or so, the ac sensors im looking at are 13$. so im really trying to show them I can do a lot more automation in our process. no one here is mechanically inclined or electrically. so little stuff like this will impress everyone. hopefully after this i can propose a budget for future projects.