drforsythe

FX Project Conversion

9 posts in this topic

I have a machine with a FX family controller that was provided by an OEM. The machine was built in 1999. I was able to get a copy of the PLC source code from the vendor, but I believe it may have been programmed using the IEC software that was tried many years ago. The manufacturer has since moved on to a different design as well as a different controls vendor, so their memory is a little unclear. The file names I have are as follows: CUSTOM.SYS EDM.EDM LRUBOXES.SYS SOFTCTRL.PRO I have copies of Medoc, GX Works 2 and GX Developer, but none of these will open the project. Is there someone out there who could open this project and do a file conversion for me? I will try to pull the program using GXWorks and GX Developer, but I am not sure if the software I have will read ALL of the PLC memory and get me enough info to provide an emergency backup. In the past, I used to help customers who tried uploading a file using Medoc when the machine was programmed with one of the dedicated GPP units. The GPP unit had access to all parameters, but Medoc did not. When the program was downloaded with Medoc, functions such as MELSECNET/MINI would no longer work and I would have to develop the TO/FROM logic to get the network functioning. I don't want to have the same issue here. It has been many, many years since I used Mitsubishi on a daily basis. I can either post the files, or you can PM me and I can send them directly. Thanks in advance for reading this. Derek

These are GX IEC Deveoper files. You should be able to read them from GX Works 2 via open Project => other Data => open other project

Gambit: Thanks for the response. I had not tried that function. I tried it just now and it looked as though it was working, but after a few seconds, I got an error message. It said "This project version is not supported by this function. Cannot open project." I am running GX Works2 Version 1.91V. The vendor cannot even tell me what software the plc was programmed with.

Just send PM me and I'll send you my email-address. If you send me the project I'll convert it to the latest version so it can be imported into GX Works.

@drforsythe and @Gambit: Did you solve this issue? An update would be nice for others too...

It was an older mmp program 16 bits. It only needed to be updated first with GX IEC Developer. So it was just Open project in GX IEC Dveloper. It will then automatically ask if it can convert to a 32 bit project which can then be read in GX Works 2. one small problem The DBase converter from IEC Developer only runs on 32 bit OS

I am still fighting with this. I was able to do the conversion from the Melsec Medoc Plus project to a GX IEC Developer project, and then open it in GXWorks 2. The problem is when I try a Rebuild All, there are key words used that GX Works does not like (Pointer, Out). I was able to change those tags, but now it is stuck with an undefined ladder label. I have not been able to get past that issue. The Gambit did not have that issue when I sent him the file. I had GXW2 v1.91 originally; I upgraded to 1.536 and still have the issue. The next thing I tried was an upload directly from the controller, but now I find it is password protected. I waited to do this step last because I wanted a documented copy of the program. I am awaiting word back from the original manufacturer to see what the password is. With the age of the machine and the fact that the OEM had a partnership with a third party on the controls, I am not expecting a quick response. The OEM has been helpful, but I just don't think they have the personnel any more that are familiar with this machine.

Derek, Can you send me your last version. I should have the same issue than.

Gambit: I will send it to you, but I cannot today unless things clear up for me. I just wanted to you to know I am not ignoring your request.