dabou23

Communication between PLC and PC

6 posts in this topic

Hello I'm looking for a way to setup communication between a PC and a PLC. The PLC is an Allen Bradley compactlogix L30ER i would like to use the existing network which is a Ethernet setup. I've read and tried some OPC/DDE sample project with Excel and I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it. Thanks!

OPC is one option, then there are ActiveX drivers like http://www.ingeardrivers.com/ab_activex/ab_activex.htm

Thanks for the reply! Is there anyway to use message block or a generic ethernet module ?

It's a more difficult software implementation, but yes. While there is an open-source Adapter called OpENer, I have seen more successful implementations using Real Time Automation's EtherNet/IP adapter stack.

AdvancedHMI has everything you need to read data from AB PLCs and the base package is no cost at all. The drivers are by far much easier to use than OPC.

I don't know if Arj3090 is archie or not but if you're more comfortable with VB then AdvancedHMI is the way to go IMO with no cost other than your time... I'd say to message me if you have issues but Archie is definitely the better choice on that end. (I'm just a user once and awhile and I love it for the comms drivers)