Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Luis Ferrigno

Plc2 And Plc3 To Plc5

2 posts in this topic

Could anybody tell me how can I convert the ladder logic from a old PLC2 and a PLC3 to a PLC5? Is there a software for it? Thanks Luis Ferrigno lrferrigno@monseth.com Menseth Enterprises

Yes there is a DOS utility program that assisted with converting the instruction set. I did this a few years ago, converting a PLC2 to SLC500, and I guess it does about 70% of the effort. Converting to PLC5 would be even easier as the PLC2 and PLC5 both share an octal based numbering schemes, whereas SLC500 is decimal and I had to do a lot of converting by hand. The utility only really assists to convert the laddet instructions... it really leave you to create your own datatable scheme, which is perfectly reasonable as the PLC2 and PLC5 datatables are quite different. On the other hand if your PLC2 program is say less than 100 rungs long, you will probably find that just re-writing the thing by hand is not too big a deal, epecially if you pre-define all your datatable symbols beforehand. You will pretty quickly see that the PLC5 instruction set directly evolved out of the PLC2, with the exception of the ubiquitous GETS and PUTS. Also the PLC5 math is a lot easier. I don't know how you will get on locating the utility, probably a friendly insider at your A-B distributor or rep should help you "borrow/hire" a version for a while, or if you email them the file they might just send back the convertor's export file. Good Luck PS Watch out for the faster scan times in the resultant PLC5 logic..I recall getting tripped by some oddball bug because I didn't take this into account.