Transistor

RSLogix 500 - remapping symbols

12 posts in this topic

I have developed some code for a ProSoft comms module in an offline PLC using their sample RSS file. I now need to incorporate into a machine's existing code. This will require re-mapping of many data file elements to avoid conflicts with the existing data files. There is plenty of scope for editing errors. Is it possible for me to assign symbols to each data register/bit that I've used and copy the program rungs with symbolic references rather than physical references? e.g. Rather than copy this XIO B3:17/2 OTU B122:0/1 BNDCould I copy this XIO MY_CONTACT OTU MY_COILand paste into the recipient program? I presume it would be best to make the edits to my development code before pasting it into the new program. Anyone got a procedure? I've looked at the Address / Symbol Editor but editing the address there doesn't change the ladder - it just moves the symbol to the new address.

I find it easiest to edit the development code using new data tables. Then it should paste in with no conflicts.

What PLC is this for? I use "Prosoft Comm Module" for the Micro800 series PLC. Just curious to know if they provide a communication module for the Micrologix series. Their product works well.

@b_carlton: The sample code is quite long and includes several data files which are already used in my application. I can change them either before or after I develop my code but it still has to be done. @damica: SLC 5/05. See here: http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Rockwell-Automation-In-chassis. The card is dumb so all message formatting, ASCII conversion and checksum / CRC has to be done in ladder. Not nice work. So ...?

The "Search/Replace" function is very powerful and will accept 'wildcards' Note: make sure to make a backup of the sample code before beginning. Let's say the sample code uses the N7 data table which would conflict with your current program and you decide to change those references to an N20 data table. Using the "Search/Replace" set 'Find What:' to N7:*, set 'Replace With:' to N20:*. Make sure to select 'Move Descriptions' - then just 'Replace All' You should only need one operation per data table. More complex instructions (like MSG instructions) may require a little more work.

Select your logic that needs changing and right click on it, select copy as SLC library. Go to the program you need to add this logic to and paste from SLC library. Open the saved file (it will have the extension .SLC). At the bottom of the dialogue box (address load mode) select the indexed radio button then select 'edit index'. In this dialogue box it will show all the addresses used in this saved library file, you can now edit under the 'fix up' heading the addresses you wish them now to be. When the rungs are pasted into your program they will be pasted with your new addresses. I'm not sure if this is what you were after. Steve

Thanks, Steve. That sounds promising. I'm on an RS-free weekend. I'll try it on Monday.

Nehpets - thank you for your post. In all this time of using RSLogix 500 I had never used that capability. Yet that is the perfect answer. You learn something everyday. Edited by b_carlton

You're more than welcome, necessity being the mother of invention, I discovered this function many years ago. A nice function of this is you can specify the changes as base (all of the datafile) or bit. Steve

Following up from nehpets' solution: Edit down PLC program to just the portion you wish to add to the other project."Save As" the stripped down code in "SLC library" format.Open the project you want to import into.Open the .SLC file you wish to add. Select Indexed and hit Edit Index Edit the index. One thing I don't understand: The warning above states that I'm importing a complete SLC-500 Memory Image. How do I avoid that? nehpet said to right-click on the code I wanted to save (in the code to be transferred). Where? It doesn't work in the project tree.

Go to the first rung you want to copy and select it, scroll down to the last rung you want to copy, hold down the shift key and select the rung. This should indicate all the rungs from first to last inclusive have been selected, now right click this selection and copy to .SLC library. The indexing should be carried out on this library file, when you are ready to put it into your new program just go to the position you want to put it and paste from the .SLC library file. (Forgot to add you need to select partial save when copying to .SLC library) Steve

Hi nehpets I am copying and pasting existing rungs and trying to rename the symbols to the new ones. I cannot modify or search and replace the pasted rung with the new tag I.E. AV5_AUTO to AV15_AUTO. I have to start to retype and it will pick it up from the data base when I have typed enough of the new symbol in for it to be recognised. In Step 7 you can search for AV5* and replace all AV5* with AV15* in symbols and comments.  I have been asking the internet for answers and somebody pointed me here. This is to let you know that by doing what you suggested. to create the .slc file.  Now if open all the created rungs in a good text editor, I use notepad+ for this, you can search and replace symbols as I need to do as above, the import the slc file using symbols checked and it works. You cannot edit symbols when it is checked like you can with index.   Clive